Bobwhite quail egg help

Ducklings100

Songster
May 18, 2020
Hi, so I am incubating 15 bobwhite quail eggs and a few of them have been internally pipped for over 24 hours with no other progress. I have never incubated quail before so I'm not sure if this is normal or not?

Hi, so I am incubating 15 bobwhite quail eggs and a few of them have been internally pipped for over 24 hours with no other progress. I have never incubated quail before so I'm not sure if this is normal or not?
In my few quail hatches, they seem to move much quicker than chickens and ducks after pipping. I don't track the internal pips, but I'd think they should be pipped externally by now.

@Nabiki @007Sean may have more insight.

That's perfectly normal. They will rest after internally pipping and will rest again after externally pipping. They will rest again before they start to zip but once they start zipping they will not rest again until they hatch. Usually 18 to 24 hours sometimes longer....sometimes shorter.
By the time you read this, they will have probably pipped externally and some may have already hatched.

That's perfectly normal. They will rest after internally pipping and will rest again after externally pipping. They will rest again before they start to zip but once they start zipping they will not rest again until they hatch. Usually 18 to 24 hours sometimes longer....sometimes shorter.
By the time you read this, they will have probably pipped externally and some may have already hatched.
Hi, yes a few have externally pipped throughout today! I was just very concerned with how long it was taking them. Thanks for your help!

Hi, yes a few have externally pipped throughout today! I was just very concerned with how long it was taking them. Thanks for your help!
If the temperature is not consistent throughout the incubator,...cooler spots, warmer spots, etc...then it might take some eggs longer or some may start earlier than is expected but in general, the times I stated are usually 'on the money'!

The eggs have still made no progress on their external pips since yesterday afternoon. It has now been 24 hours. Do quails normally take this long?

The eggs have still made no progress on their external pips since yesterday afternoon. It has now been 24 hours. Do quails normally take this long?
Yes.
My quail usually don't start hatching until after they have been externally pipped for 24 hours.

What is your humidity level at right now and did you salt test your humidity gauge to make sure it is reading correctly?

Back
Top Bottom