Bobwhite quail egg help

Okay, so when I checked the eggs this morning and there is no progress. Still the same pips. I did hear one chirping in the egg this morning though. I have no idea have long it has been since the first external pip but its but at least 35 hours.

Okay, so I took one out that has been pipped for almost two days and it was still moving so at this point I don't know what to do.

Okay, so I started assisting as far as I could and here they are now. (That one has candle wax because I dropped it early on in incubation.
IMG_3612.jpeg
IMG_3611.jpeg

Okay, so I started assisting as far as I could and here they are now. (That one has candle wax because I dropped it early on in incubation.View attachment 3566794View attachment 3566797
I am sorry this hatch has caused so much stress.

When you have the big open holes like this is when you are almost guanteed to have shrink wrapping - especially if you are handling them.

Id mentally prepare that you wjll
Have to assist most all the way with these little ones. @Pyxis has written probably the best piece of
Literature on the internet in terms of assisted hatching, I will link it here.

You were right, I got one out and he seems to be doing okay. Hatched in my hand actually after a little help. I am waiting on the others to dry up a bit before helping. They had been piped for so long I just knew I had to help.
Make sure that you supplement their water with an electrolyte/nutrient booster. They are going to need whatever they can get after the long hatch.

Okay, so I started assisting as far as I could and here they are now. (That one has candle wax because I dropped it early on in incubation.View attachment 3566794View attachment 3566797
For the rest of the eggs and the future...if they are externally pipped they can breathe. It's usually better to NOT make big holes in the egg like this.

Give them a chance to hatch on their own.

Please please make sure you salt test a humidity gauge before you set eggs again.

Did you have at least one calibrated thermometer in there? If not get one.

For the rest of the eggs and the future...if they are externally pipped they can breathe. It's usually better to NOT make big holes in the egg like this.

Give them a chance to hatch on their own.

Please please make sure you salt test a humidity gauge before you set eggs again.

Did you have at least one calibrated thermometer in there? If not get one.
Yes, I have a calibrated thermometer. I gave them a two days chance to hatch on their own but they didn't do anything.

My humidity is around 70 percent. And no I did not salt test.
I am going to guess your humidity was way higher than you think it was throughout which can cause major issues.

You are in a tough spot now.
You can leave them be and see what happens or you can finish opening those few and hope they were actually ready to hatch.

I feel for you.

Back
Top Bottom