Bobwhite quail pipped at 12am it is now 1pm and no chirping

Jaysquails

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2016
Hiya guys this is my first time incubating eggs and it is now day 23 and the egg had only pipped last night it is now 1pm and the chicks have yet to emerge or move and I heard one faint chirp about 4 hours ago and nothing since should I be worried?!

i don't know what has happened since you posted this, but try tapping the pipped egg lightly with you fingernail and the putting it up to your ear.

Hiya thanks for the reply, sadly that chick dried out before it could make it out however a quail chick popped out about an hour ago I'm so exited will the rest soon follow or is it also when there ready it is almost day 24 now

Hi thanks for the reply sadly the chick dried out before it could make it out completely however a chick has popped out recently will it's little brothers and sisters follow shortly?

If it dried out before it could come out of the shell, it likely was a humidity problem - either low humidity or humidity was lost after the chick cracked the shell.

If the other chick hatched fine it sounds like it could have been caused by a brief drop in humidity like opening the incubator too long/often - I made that mistake my first incubation
1f631.png

Good luck on the rest of your hatch :D!!

Hopi guys a second chick had hatched it is now almost 12 hours old it cannot walk and flops it self around also sometimes when it stands up the poor bird falls backwards, it spends its time on its back under the brooder light with his feet in the air I'm worried can anyone help.

Is your brooder warm enough? It could be trying to stand up towards the heat - try also putting a clean pair of socks or tiny stuffed animal in there for it to press against and maybe it will settle down and get some strength?

Back
Top Bottom