Bobwhite refresher ?s

rittert3

Crowing
13 Years
May 1, 2009
Ks (Manhattan area)
I want to keep 4 trios of bobwhite according to what i remember a 6'x6'x6' pen covered with 1" chicken wire plus 1/2" hailscreen along the bottom 2' should be suffiant.
Is this correct? Also could I get 18 eggs a week out of 8 hens during laying months?

ETA: I plan on including a artificial christmas tree and a box 2'L 18"D18"T for cover and shelter.

Last edited:
That size pen sounds just fine for that many bobwhites, I have chicken wire on my pen and 1/2" wire on the bottom, they both work great. I also put a sunblock netting on the top of the pen before I covered it with chicken wire. As far as eggs go, you will probably get more than 18 eggs. My northern bobwhites lay about 5 eggs a week and my mexican speckled lays 7 a week. Good Luck!
smile.png

my Bobs are only 1 yr old I am getting like 5-6 eggs a week from each one I have 2 trios 3 pairs and a couple of girls I need fellas for I get 10-11 eggs a day

Sounds excellant. I havn't had quail in a few years and want to start again next year. I want to have a hatch each week of at least 12 chicks so I figured at least 18 eggs per setting. I can set upto 40 a week with this setup. Would like to find a variation because northern bobs require a gamebreeders licence and F&G has to inspect facilities here, but I do have a source for them. I can also get whites but they run $30 each. I eventually want snowflake mexican speckled but I have a fealing the will run as much as the whites, and I'm only wanting to invest about $4 ea. and no more than $6.50

Back
Top Bottom