Bobwhite rooster question. . . .

WaterfowlWierdo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 15, 2013
Rathdrum, Idaho
Hello, I have 9 bobwhite quail and 3 are roosters, In the spring is there any way to be able to keep them together, can I add more hens? There is a definite pecking order between the three.

whoa! i'm not so sure you will want to keep the all! even if you add more hens, your roosters will most likely fight over who's hen is who's. They will most likely fight more than mate, so that pretty much slims your chance of chicks, if you want to hatch them. I would either keep one, or separate them. hope this helps!
big_smile.png

Had one of my brothers friends come over today and he wants a pair so that will take care of one roo but i cant get rid of the other two, I will just seperate I guess The least dominant roo has a tiny hen that he hangs out with so he can have his little lady all to himself :)

Hello, I have 9 bobwhite quail and 3 are roosters, In the spring is there any way to be able to keep them together, can I add more hens? There is a definite pecking order between the three.
Bobwhites, during breeding season are kept one male to one female. You cannot keep more than one female with one male as the lone female can be killed. You can, however, keep all males or all females together, as long as the males can not SEE the females and the females cannot SEE the males. Unless you have HUGE aviaries, bobs must be kept separate.

Bobs require at least 4 square feet per bird as adults and during the off breeding season can be all kept together in a flock. This is the ONLY time you can keep them together. The breeding season runs from March to October.

Bobwhites, during breeding season are kept one male to one female. You cannot keep more than one female with one male as the lone female can be killed. You can, however, keep all males or all females together, as long as the males can not SEE the females and the females cannot SEE the males. Unless you have HUGE aviaries, bobs must be kept separate.

Bobs require at least 4 square feet per bird as adults and during the off breeding season can be all kept together in a flock. This is the ONLY time you can keep them together. The breeding season runs from March to October.
Ok I can do that! What about valley, are they as aggressive toward each other?

Quote: Valley quail or any of the native new world quail, which will also include Gambels, Blue Scale and all species of Bobs are kept in the manner described above. So yes, Valleys, being included in this group of new world quail, are also aggressive during breeding season and need to be kept as talked about above. :)

Last edited:
Valley quail or any of the native new world quail, which will also include Gambels, Blue Scale and all species of Bobs are kept in the manner described above. So yes, Valleys, being included in this group of new world quail, are also aggressive during breeding season and need to be kept as talked about above. :)
Ok thanks for the info! What are some old world quail species?

Quote: All the Bobwhite breeds and subspecies (there are lots of Bobwhite types), Blue Scaled Quail, Gambels Quail, Valley or California Valley Quail, Montezuma Quail, the 15 or so species of Wood Quail, a few other various quail, and all the Partridge species. New World Quail are any birds of the quail family that are native to this country. :)

Back
Top Bottom