Bobwhite

Estelleannette

Songster
Mar 1, 2019
Marquette mi
Good morning! Anyone else give cuttlebone to your quail friends? Ours love it. What homemade treats do you give them?

Attachments

• 3FF564DA-26D7-4511-9663-7714BAA9996F.jpeg
    3FF564DA-26D7-4511-9663-7714BAA9996F.jpeg
    553.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 08B239CB-2360-40C7-A646-958E37309BC1.jpeg
    08B239CB-2360-40C7-A646-958E37309BC1.jpeg
    812.6 KB · Views: 2
  • EA50A596-BE2A-4260-8777-574A4A6BBB31.jpeg
    EA50A596-BE2A-4260-8777-574A4A6BBB31.jpeg
    396 KB · Views: 2
Good morning! Anyone else give cuttlebone to your quail friends? Ours love it. What homemade treats do you give them?
I use crushed egg shell but I mainly do buttons but 🤔 maybe crushed cuddle bone could be a good idea

Cuttlefish bone is just another form of calcium, as is oyster shell, egg shells or limestone grit.
If your feeding a complete and balanced feed, either pellets or crumble, there is no need to supply extra calcium.
Bobwhites are gamebirds, and as such, shouldn't be fed a lot of treats. The best treat is a leafy legume, ideally, a well landscaped enclosure will have enough 'greens' for there needs. I occasionally feed mine (as a treat) white heart sunflower seeds, usually only during real cold weather but at other times too!

Last edited:
Cuttlefish bone is just another form of calcium, as is oyster shell, egg shells or limestone grit.
If your feeding a complete and balanced feed, either pellets or crumble, there is no need to supply extra calcium.
Bobwhites are gamebirds, and as such, shouldn't be fed a lot of treats. The best treat is a leafy legume, ideally, a well landscaped enclosure will have enough 'greens' for there needs. I occasionally feed mine (as a treat) white heart sunflower seeds, usually only during real cold weather but at other times too!
Treats I’m meaning things like lettuce and such.they are on a wild game feed. I scatter wild bird seed for them every night and I also bring them raw peanuts in shell and sometimes plums or blueberries/ blackberries. It keeps them foraging and entertained. They enjoy the cuttlebone for what I see so I’ll keep it.we are in Wisconsin and are coming into cold every day. Tonight is a low of 28. Lol. Thanks for scolding me though. Lol 😝

Treats I’m meaning things like lettuce and such.they are on a wild game feed. I scatter wild bird seed for them every night and I also bring them raw peanuts in shell and sometimes plums or blueberries/ blackberries. It keeps them foraging and entertained. They enjoy the cuttlebone for what I see so I’ll keep it.we are in Wisconsin and are coming into cold every day. Tonight is a low of 28. Lol. Thanks for scolding me though. Lol 😝
I'm not scolding! :D Sometimes I'm just very direct. Lettuce, raw unsalted peanuts, blue/blackberries are good. The wild bird seed, not so much....it can cause other digestive, nutritional issues.
Most people think that in the wild they eat grain seeds, and they do but it isn't their main diet. Mostly insects and grass seeds are their main diet, and in winter, it's young tender shoots of grasses, shrubs, and cereal grains if they can find them.

The best thing for captive Bob's is a complete and balanced feed ration of 24% protein. They really don't need anything more....except, when it's extremely cold weather, then cereal grains or sunflower seeds help keep their core temperatures up during the long cold night.

Back
Top Bottom