bobwhites

Discussion in 'Quail' started by fowlman33, Oct 10, 2011.

1. fowlman33

fowlman33 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    At what age should you be able to differentiate between the males and females ? 2 months, 3 months ???

2. Woofless

Woofless Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    SD
    I have some that are about 12 weeks old and the males started getting their white heads somewhere around 10 weeks or so. Within the last two weeks the males have also gotten rather vocal about calling. So about 2 and a half months is about when it generally happens.

3. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    My five are around 2.5 months old & I still have NO clue.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Missi, see that one down in front...the one looking to the right? That looks like a girl to me. The ones in the back have some white and black around their collars, and appear to possibly be boys. The one next to the girl down in front, looking to the left may POSSIBLY be a girl. [​IMG]

5. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I agree on front left being a hen but I think the front right looks like a male. I think I see the caramel hugh coming through on the back right one, not sure though and I can't tell one the other 2. just my guesses missi. I'm guessing you get 3 and 2 one way or the other.

6. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Looks like all males to me.

7. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Missi,
    What did you do? Put a picture of a cat in their cage to get them to sit still? [​IMG]

Pretty babies!

8. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    As a common rule, the male's beak will be jet-black in color, as opposed the the female's, which will be anything other than jet-black. (Sometimes), the beak color will give good hints as to gender before the infamouse white - gold head colors get their definite pronounced colors, but not always. Generally, by 11 - at leasat 12 months, the infamous "gender" question is answered.....which is a tad bit quicker than most fish species. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  9. Missi

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    A couple more weeks...I CAN wait a couple more weeks.....Can I?! LOL There is ONE bird that occasionally makes loud vocalizations, not the "bob white" vocalization but a different one. Still having troubles finding recordings & explanations of all the different bob vocalizations [​IMG]

10. Missi

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Quote:[​IMG] No but I may try that next! [​IMG] I lifted the hutch top & shot from above! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by