Body Parts Still Showing Up Days Later! Graphic Photo

Redcatcher

Songster
9 Years
May 7, 2010
At My Desk!
I am really getting annoyed now. The last attack was, what, four days ago now? The varmint has not gotten anymore chickens because they have been inside and they are let out only when supervised for a couple of hours before dark. It seems most of the killing (and eating) takes place under this particular tree (a huge maple tree with tanbark around it). One rooster that was mauled badly (but survived) had tanbark embedded into his feathers. Two days ago, a wing appeared in this same place. Today, a leg and it is from the same hen. No sign of the body anywhere. Because of the heat and humidity it is pretty decomposed. There is still some meat on it but I am not sure if the predator is full or the meat is so badly decomposed it will not eat it. I know predators will eat some pretty rotten meat though. Especially skunks. Yet there it is in plain view. It is as if this animal is just taunting me. I was trying to avoid having to sit up all night in the chicken house waiting, but it looks as if I am going to have to. Any ideas?

001-1.jpg

That sucks, best of luck in solving your mystery. I want to say both coons and foxes will stash and eat their food but am not sure. I do know coons will kill all they can get their hands on and drag them off to water... that is what happened to one of my flocks. All the bodies ended up next to the seasonal stream.

Could be the predator took the bird up in the tree to eat it, had some and left the rest up there, then something else scavenged it, and it fell out of the tree? Just guessing. Ew! I had a black vulture kill two of my pretty speckled Sussex pullets, and all it left of one was the two legs! Made me sick!
sickbyc.gif

That reminds me of what one of my german shepherds had in her mouth on the back porch, one leg and a couple wings attached by some tissue.

Quote:
I didn't know vultures would kill a chicken?!?@?!?!? They are everywhere here. Not trying to hijack, just never new this...

While we are hijacking. It reminds me of the time the Oriole that I was rehabbing got into some nestling parakeets that I was hand rearing. She killed them all and then left the legs on top of a portable radio. I had no idea she would do that. I think she could have killed a newborn chicken chick as well if she had the opportunity to.

Finally, I trapped and humanely killed the predator tonight. It was a huge female red fox. I hated doing it and I thought I would have had more satisfaction in killing it than I did. Not the actual act of killing it of course, I would never get any satisfaction out of that, but the fact that it is gone for good. Or at least this individual.

Glad you got it.My mom loves *her* foxes.I enjoy them too,but if they were in my yard I would have to dispatch them.Frustrating thing is you will never be done trapping. I recently trapped 2 groundhogs only to see a 3rd out my window yesterday.I had no idea there were so many!

Quote:
I didn't know vultures would kill a chicken?!?@?!?!? They are everywhere here. Not trying to hijack, just never new this...

While we are hijacking. It reminds me of the time the Oriole that I was rehabbing got into some nestling parakeets that I was hand rearing. She killed them all and then left the legs on top of a portable radio. I had no idea she would do that. I think she could have killed a newborn chicken chick as well if she had the opportunity to.

A bald eagle killed one of my ducks, left his legs too. Weird...

Back
Top Bottom