Boiled Eggs

It's science. Boil water. Place the eggs into boiling water so the white cooks immediately. Bring it back to a boil after you add the eggs and shut it off. Leave the pan on the burner. Set the timer for 20 minutes. Done~
Why? If you put them into water and bring to a boil the white adheres to the shell as it cooks. I also add salt to the water although I don't think it makes a difference.
Try it. It's magic

I don't have any trouble peeling boiled eggs that are fresh as long as I've refrigerated them until they are cold first. I bring my water to boiling, drop the eggs and set a time for 7-10 mins depending on how done I want them, them submerge in ice water to cool.

I am new to raising chickens myself, and I had a terrible time peeling eggs too. I tried everything under the sun, until a co-worker, who also has chickens, said he never has a problem peeling eggs, he steams his. So i tried steaming them in a veggie steamer, and they peel perfectly, even fresh eggs. For hard boiled eggs, i steam for 15 minutes on medium heat, covered. I have a smaller steam basket so I do 6 at a time.
This is what I do and it works well.

Does anyone know why back yard chicken eggs are so hard to peel when boiled? Every time I try to peel one, just about all I have left when done is the yolk:confused:
I googled it & found a method used by Pioneer woman, Ree Drummond. She puts the eggs into boiling water, gently simmer 13 minutes, then directly into an ice bath for 5 minutes. Works great!

News flash! I just found THE BEST way to make hard boiled eggs that peel easily! Stream them for 22 minutes then cool. They peel super easily!
I steam mine for 20 minutes, then run cool water over them and put them in the fridge. It works great. I can cook eggs the day I collect them and have no issues peeling.

Back
Top Bottom