Boiled eggs

d1

Songster
10 Years
May 9, 2009
Saucier,Ms.
I had an old lady tell me one time that you could boil and crush up some eggs and feed back to your chickens for extra nutrients.

has anyone ever done it?

my first reaction was the thought of causing egg eating

what do you think?

just make sure u cut up the shells good. its a good source of calcium for layers. if their babys I would just chop up the eggs without shells.

Cooked eggs = good
smile.png

Shells = good
smile.png

Raw eggs = not so good
sad.png

Some people think shells should be cooked

Raw eggs might teach them to like the taste of raw eggs

Imp-doesn't think raw eggs are so good tasting
sickbyc.gif

I give scrambled eggs as a treat to my chooks from time to time. Scrambled cuz I'm too lazy to peel a bunch of hard boiled eggs. They love em.

I would grind the shells up to help them in digestion and keep them from getting stuck. Some ppl like to microwave them for a few seconds to kill any bad bacteria that may develop while storing. I've been saving my shells for a couple of months waiting for that first egg. I will then crush, zap and feed them. I also start my new chicks on mashed up boiled eggs on about day 3. Good Luck

Right after this post i went out and found my first egg. Had to run to feed store and buy layer feed and made a small feeder for eggshells. They are just looking at the eggshell not sure what to do with it.

Last edited:
I was just wondering how young you could start giving them boiled eggs... I gave mine a little bit of mashed up hard boiled yolk the other day and they went nuts over it! They were about a week old. Hmmm, maybe I'll cook them an egg today, lol.
bun.gif

My chicks LOVE hard boiled eggs!!! I have not crushed up the shells yet, but when I go in the coop with a paper plate of crushed egg - I've learned to GET OUT OF THE WAY fast! They love it.

Back
Top Bottom