Boiled Fresh Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gkeesling, Apr 29, 2009.

1. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    We have found that when we boil fresh eggs they are hard to peel the shell off. Is that normal? Has anyone else had this problem? Is there a way to make it easier for the shell to come off?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

It's normal. In future try using eggs at least 4 days old, they'll peel slickly...[​IMG]

3. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

poke a pin hole in the big end(you can buy a hole poker made for that less than $5.00) I used a needle & thimble .After I saw how good it worked I bought a hole poker.. OK #1 POKE a hole in the BIG END put eggs in cold water & bring to a boil 10+- minuits.#2 take off heat & let stand 15 min. #3 then cool with COLD water..Then peal away,.YIPPEE, they will peal Perfect every time . I can get the place to buy the hole poker if you pm me. if its ok I will post it. I think this would be a great thing to sell in the store HERE!!
    Dan

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  4. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    I finally found a way last weekend and I learned it from here. Boil the water FIRST, drop in the eggs, boil for 15 min. remove and shock with cold ice water. It Works!! I have tried the salt "method" and cold water but to no avail.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Quote:i do it sort of the same way. excep i just boil them for 2-3 min nd then turn them off and put a lid on. but the genral idea is the same.

6. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    A push pin makes a good "hole poker". Oddly, the shell never cracks.

7. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Quote:yes..this is how to do it!!!! someone else posted this same method on here and it works
    have them out of the fridge for about 15 minutes before putting in the water.....or longer.

8. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I just tried a new trick I heard about on here somewhere.
    Eggs are room temperature before boiling.
    Boil with a couple shakes of baking soda added to the water.
    I let cool overnight in the refridgerator and all but one peeled the easiest I have ever seen.
    These eggs were only a couple days old.

9. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I got ny hole poker at
    I did a google search for
    foxrun egg piercer & I bought 3 ea they were cheap
    Dan

10. heritagebirds

heritagebirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Eastern Shore MD
    illinichick has got it RIGHT!!!! Not that other methods don't work, but we tried cold eggs placed gently into the boiling water and fifteen minutes cook time. It worked perfect! I had tried to make some deviled eggs for a family function before I found the post on here, and peeling those eggs was majorly annoying. They didn't look super pretty, but they were still good. Since finding this method, I will have pretty eggs next time. Thank you BYC [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by