Boiling Fresh Eggs - who has tried this method? (Freezing first)

I have something weird happening with my hard boiled eggs. I’ve boiled my eggs the same way for a couple of years now. Place in pot, cover with water, bring to a roiling boil, put a lid on the pot & turn off burner. 10 minutes later run with cold water. They usually peal so easy..this year when eggs started coming in I did same…not same result! They are horrible to peel, the whites are soft but yellow is perfect🤷🏻‍♀️. I tried leaving them longer in hot water but same deal. The outer white just peels off with the shell, leaving a thinner white layer with the yellow. I’ve used salt in the water..no change. Some of the eggs are perfect..what is going on!? Anyone have this happen with fresh farm eggs?
Note: this did not happen with store eggs. Since I was having an issue I used store bought eggs for Easter deviled eggs. All the eggs I cooked last night were from yesterdays gathering all fresh.

I will try this freezer trick to see if I get a different result..I will let you know.

Last edited:
Don't freeze them, but do place them in the freezer for a few hours to get them ice cold.

Then let them get back down to at least refrigerator temperature or whatever temperature you usually let your eggs get before boiling. Just not ice cold or they will explode 😂
Wait til you make Ukrainian easter eggs. 😬

I take it you have first hand experience?

I guess the local store has really fresh eggs - or dos not refrigerate them properly - but trouble peeling is a way of life.
Guilty 😂
Something told me it wasn't a good idea. Thankfully only one exploded. The other was fine.

I have something weird happening with my hard boiled eggs. I’ve boiled my eggs the same way for a couple of years now. Place in pot, cover with water, bring to a roiling boil, put a lid on the pot & turn off burner. 10 minutes later run with cold water. They usually peal so easy..this year when eggs started coming in I did same…not same result! They are horrible to peel, the whites are soft but yellow is perfect🤷🏻‍♀️. I tried leaving them longer in hot water but same deal. The outer white just peels off with the shell, leaving a thinner white layer with the yellow. I’ve used salt in the water..no change. Some of the eggs are perfect..what is going on!? Anyone have this happen with fresh farm eggs?
Note: this did not happen with store eggs. Since I was having an issue I used store bought eggs for Easter deviled eggs. All the eggs I cooked last night were from yesterdays gathering all fresh.

I will try this freezer trick to see if I get a different result..I will let you know.
See! I’m not alone. It's like different years makes it different or something.
Years prior it would peel as you described and of course now it's perfect no matter how fresh or old the eggs are. Hopefully it stays like that the rest of the year or forever 😂

See! I’m not alone. It's like different years makes it different or something.
Years prior it would peel as you described and of course now it's perfect no matter how fresh or old the eggs are. Hopefully it stays like that the rest of the year or forever 😂
Well..I want mine to go back to beautifully peeled. I read it had something to do with the ph balance in the egg.

I had heard that before, but doesn't work for me. I’ve boiled 3 month old eggs and it was just as difficult as boiling day old eggs. Half the egg stuck to the shell.

So far this has been the only thing that has worked.
Try adding a little vinegar when boiling after I did that it was a lot easier with fresh eggs and extremely easy with store bought.

Back
Top Bottom