Bold Chicken: Will it become a problem?

FeatherLace

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
So I have 12 chickens; 4 ayam cemanis, 4 mixed Bantams, 2 Lakemvelders, and 2 Russian Orloffs. All of my chickens are semi-tame. When I'm on their level, they will gladly take any food and treats from me as long as no sudden movements, and even when I'm standing up they won't run away as long as I don't reach to grab them. They allow some pets as long as they're distracted with food or treats.
However, my Russian Orloffs are much more bold. They're so obsessed with food and treats that any time I enter their pen they run all over my feet and peck anything that isn't familiar, such as pieces of grass or dirt on my feet. If they even see my hands or fingers they immediatly go to pecking them (often times it hurts!), and they're always walking all over me and flying up onto my arms trying to get into any food I'm carrying when I come to refill their dish.

Now I don't think this is aggression, as they don't bow up or try to attack me, I think its solely because they're greedy lol.

But I'm not sure in the slightest how to sex them, as their combs are so different from the others, so i have no idea if they're roosters who will turn aggressive due to this, or just be greedy hens.

So my questions is, do I need to find someone who can sex them for me? And if theyre roosters do I need to stop this greedy behavior? Or if theyre hens too?
If I need to stop it, how??

To me it sounds like they are very hungry.
Do they get as much food as they want?
Could other animals be eating it?
We have rooks and jackdaws all over the place here, and if they can get to the food, they will.

My chickens love food, but what you described sounds pretty scary 🤣
You can post the photos of your chickens and I may or may not be able to tell you the gender. But someone will.
I'm guessing they're quite young. At a certain age they do just love their food.

To me it sounds like they are very hungry.
Do they get as much food as they want?
Could other animals be eating it?
We have rooks and jackdaws all over the place here, and if they can get to the food, they will.

My chickens love food, but what you described sounds pretty scary 🤣
You can post the photos of your chickens and I may or may not be able to tell you the gender. But someone will.
I'm guessing they're quite young. At a certain age they do just love their food.
They always have access to food! And I know for sure the others aren't eating it all before them because those Orloffs are always the very first gobbling up the food each day! And the feeder has enough room for all of them to gather comfortably and eat from it at the same time. I will try and get a picture of them, but they try to eat the camera if I put my phone too close, and they try to eat me if I pick them up! :lau

Here are pictures of the culprits, I ended up having to video and screenshot the moments that they weren't pecking the camera!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200531-154250_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200531-154250_Video Player.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20200531-154236_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20200531-154236_Video Player.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 11
They're so pretty! What age are they, and are they all the same age?
The Orloffs and the Lakenvelders you see in the background are all 7 weeks old, and as you see that Lakenvelder rooster has a rather prominent comb. But, one of the Orloffs has a completely flat comb! I'm stumped, because this is a breed I've never even seen before these two. They act like roosters sometimes, but they look like hens if I judge them by comb. I'm stumped!

Yes haha that black and white chicken in the back is the only rooster I saw.
That's a huge comb for a 7 week old chicken.
I know, right! I thought about rehoming him but he's just so pretty and sweet. The complete opposite of the Orloffs lol. All I find online when I search how to sex the Orloffs is "The cockrels typically have a much darker and larger comb than the females", and while I suspect the one is a lady, the one with a completely flat comb leaves me confused! Its a pretty dark red area but I don't see any forming of an upright comb like the other one

I am absolutely hopeless when it comes to rehoming. I have only ever rehomed one rooster. He pecked me. We eventually sent him back to where he came from, because they promised he'd be used for breeding, and not eaten.
Unfortunately, I also cannot stop hatching chicks.
So usually I am left with more boys than I know what to do with. Somehow I only have 2 at the moment.
I'd never be able to send a chicken off unless he/she got a good home, and even then. I just get so attached to them.
Your chickens are beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom