Bold Coyotes

Shelanie

Songster
11 Years
Feb 16, 2008
Southern California
. I know someone else just posted something similar but I just watched a coyote jump my chain link fence, jump the 6 foot fence to my chicken pen, grab one of my girls and get out before my rotts could get there, and they were hauling butt. I am never fast enough with the gun. It took the chicken to the gully behind my house and there were feathers everywhere. Can I poison? It's noon here. I know it will be back. I lock my chickens up at night, apparently that is not enough.

Hot wire on the outside of the coop might keep them away. Start a foot up and place a every foot to the top. I'm thinking about making an open air run with the tops like they have for retention ponds, the bars that angle outward and put a mix of razor and hotwire on top (I'm putting a standard fence version pointing inside to keep birds from trying to hop out).

In most states(if not all) it is Illegal to poison predators. USe a shotgun you don't need such good aim and even if you miss it will scare the cr** out of him.
Next time when you see him don't watch just get the gun, you know what's coming now.

Dang that's bad, they must be starving to be that bold there! Sorry for your loss. I'd set traps around the perimeter of my run and fence if I were you. I wouldn't poison them.

I would do a 50-mile fence charger with multiple courses of hotwire, say 6 courses from 8" to the top of the chicken pen. He will not come back, ever. You can trap, but it is hard to trap yotes. Info on www.trapperman.com

Let me tell you something that happened to me on Monday night................................

Just the other night I was petting Blackie and Koda in front of our car when I saw something out by the Rose bush. I knew it wasn't Blackie 'cause I was petting her at the time and it was too big to be a fox. Plus it was sneaking in like a coyote. I sharply drew in my breath in fright and Koda whirled around and with a snarl sounding like a roar took off after that critter while Blackie stepped in front of me like she was protecting me. I heard Koda barking her head off in the field and then I heard sharp yelps in fright from by the chicken coop.

So now I've got Coyotes coming within 20 feet of the house now and Koda's been barking like crazy all night from the front yard and by the chicken coop. This winter seems a bit harsh this year and their getting really bold. Sending 1 coyote to distract Koda while the others trys to get into the coop. -rolls eyes in annoyance-

Now all I need to do is learn to use a gun to shoot them stupid Coyotes.

sad.png

Hi,
Coyotes are a problem for us also. I have seen a coyote run between to elderly women, grab their poodle and keep running.
I have a six foot high block wall around my back 1/2 acre. I lost two of my best blue Ameraucana hens to a coyote. We have a wolf,
a 1/2 wolf 1/2 german shep, and a German shep female. The wolf and 1,
1/2 wolf are penned up. So was the Shep female until the loss. Now she is loose in the 1/2 acre. She hates cats, strange dogs, and coyotes.
I heard several coyotes last week and she was following them from the inside of the block wall barking, which sets off the wolf to singing/howling and
the 1/2 wolf also. They didn't enter. Perhaps your dogs were to far away to start with or didn't hear the coyote before it was to late.
Bearpaw

Last edited:
Talk to your local law enforcement they might have some guys willing to help you learn to shoot.
Also talk to your fish and game department. Our hunters safety takes the kids out and lets them shoot at targets with .22's and .20 gauge shotguns. If you have never taken hunters safety do so.

With you having 2 dogs I would not use poison or traps too much of a chance of getting your dogs.

You don't need a high powered gun to hit a coyote that is that close. I would use a .22 Mag. Anything father out I would use a .222 or a .223.
They are not too heavy of guns and there is barely any kick.

Back
Top Bottom