Bonded rooster and hen

CardusChicks

Hatching
Aug 22, 2016
Oregon
I have a total of six chickens, four where raised together (different breeds of large chickens) and two others together (one wydonette and a silkie). The two chickens are very bonded if one is out of sight of the other they scream until they find each other. Well the silkie ended up being a rooster and has started to crow and I live in town but there is no rules on roosters in my town unless someone doesn't like the noise and complains. I have been trying to decide if I should rehome him or not I don't really want to but afraid one of the neighbors might complain but the hens can be louder than him sometimes.I am afraid if I separate them she will not do very well. I am wondering also does anyone know if he can reproduce with standard hens as my husband does not want baby chicks.

Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined us. That's unfortunate that the rooster is a Silkie. In terms of your question of him reproducing with standard chicks...while I have never had silkies, my guess would be yes. As they say, birds gotta fly, fish gotta swim...and roosters gotta...well, you know the rest. But here's the good news. With chickens, mating doesn't have to mean reproducing. The Silkie rooster may and likely will breed the hens. They will lay fertile eggs - which only means they what it takes to develop and hatch out. But, and this is the important part, they won't hatch unless a hen sits on them for many, many days. So, if you collect the eggs regularly, no baby chicks. The eggs will look and taste the same as unfertilzed eggs. Some people are wigged out by this but it's only about the idea of it being a fertilized egg - nothing else. Don't worry, if you collect the eggs there is no danger of you cracking an egg and getting a shocking surprise of a beak and little baby chicken feet. It will just be a a normal old egg. Good luck to you! :)

Welcome! From Colorado. I am new to the group as well. I am in the same situation - I have a rooster and live in a neighborhood that doesn't have any rules on this as we are actually zoned as farming (Some people have horses, chickens, and have even seen pigs). My rooster crows now in the mornings and evenings, and during the day whenever he hears other roosters. I usually feel guilty in the mornings when he starts at 5am (now about 6am). I figured I would give the adjoining neighbors some fresh eggs once I get enough (they have just started laying a few weeks ago) and they get a little bigger (Your hens may start laying smaller eggs even if they are supposed to be Large, but they will get larger).

I wasn't planning to keep a rooster, but have gotten attached to him. He is a character and protects the yard fiercely from robins or jays. LOL. Unless I get a lot of complaints, I will keep him. BTW - the eggs are great even if they are fertilized, you can't tell the difference.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Hello and thank you to everyone for the good advice. I am going to keep my little boy silkie until I get too many complaints and am forced to rehome him, he is adorable.

Thank you to everyone who replied and to everyone who welcomed me, it is nice to know I can ask questions from people that have some experience with chickens. Want only the best for my little group

Back
Top Bottom