Bonding with chicks help

I've had mine for a week now. One already knows her name and comes flying to me when I call her.

About 3-4 times a day I take them each out individually and put them in my lap and pet them. I talk to them and they tilt their heads. At least one time a day I put my hand in the brooder and keep it completely still and they all come, they climb on my hand, plop down and lay down on top of my hand or as close as they can get. Every night the ducks get tub time and when they hear the water go on, they start talking. It seems they know the routine well.

Most importantly, every morning their first meal comes right from my hand. They don't have food all night so they are very hungry and have no issues pecking at my hand, then I put the food dish in. This has worked beautifully.
That’s a good idea! I’m going to try that with mine:)

When we got our four, four month old chickens I’d make a pot of tea each morning and go into the run each morning. They got used to me sitting there, talking to them, drinking my pot of tea. When I had finished, about an hour later, they were happy to settle down.

Like others said, spending a lot of time with them, hanging out, being in their general area. I think letting them fall asleep on you is a big deal, personally. Sleeping on you = huge trust. Definitely involves a bit of poo here and there, but i trust you are not afraid of that by now :p

Like others said, spending a lot of time with them, hanging out, being in their general area. I think letting them fall asleep on you is a big deal, personally. Sleeping on you = huge trust. Definitely involves a bit of poo here and there, but i trust you are not afraid of that by now :p

Then I'm doing good--4 chicks and one duck will sleep on me. The two older ducks obviously didn't have lots of human exposure. They will calm down in my lap and lay down but they haven't gone to sleep yet. I don't know when they sleep--very busy ducks, always on the move. They nibble on my hand and I can almost imagine them chasing me in the yard biting my butt

And I haven't been pooped on yet...

Baby chicks HATE to be approached from above, they see that as a threat. Sit with them and put your hand flat out. You can slide it under them and lift them without freaking them out. I got 28 chicks, way too many to play with and handle. I always called to them before I fed them in the brooder, and talked to them. Now at 6 weeks (mostly) in the run they come running to me when I call to them to bring them food. Now that I have room I get a pat of straw and sit on it in the middle of the run. I have one Buff Orpington (Buffy) who does not mind me putting my hand under her and lifting her. I have another red star that lets me touch her as well. The rest of them will eat from my hand and walk on me but don't really want to be held. That's fine with me. As long as they come to my voice we are good. When the weather gets nice I'll free range them. When I want them to go back into their run I can call them and throw a treat (lettuce, grapes, bird seed, meal worms, etc) in the run and they will rush in. :wee

I've had mine for a week now. One already knows her name and comes flying to me when I call her.

About 3-4 times a day I take them each out individually and put them in my lap and pet them. I talk to them and they tilt their heads. At least one time a day I put my hand in the brooder and keep it completely still and they all come, they climb on my hand, plop down and lay down on top of my hand or as close as they can get. Every night the ducks get tub time and when they hear the water go on, they start talking. It seems they know the routine well.

Most importantly, every morning their first meal comes right from my hand. They don't have food all night so they are very hungry and have no issues pecking at my hand, then I put the food dish in. This has worked beautifully.
These babies should have food available at all times. I'd leave the food in at night.

These babies should have food available at all times. I'd leave the food in at night.

For the first 3 days I tried that and they don't rest well. If I leave the food then I think water is necessary and that gets knocked over(due to them playing all night instead of sleeping) and everything is wet. I don't want them to get chilled or to be wet over night. They were up all night and active those three nights. After I removed the food, they actually slept. Once in the coop, they will not have any food at bed time because they will be locked up.

I would also add not to overthink it or force things too much. When I got my laying pullets the "chicken lady" at TSC kept emphasizing how much I needed to handle them. Between being busy and not really liking to handle them, I didn't do much of that. Once they got old enough I carried the brooder out to the chick pen each morning and placed each one in, then in the evening I would put each one back and carry the brooder back into the mud room. That was all of the handling and socializing they got from me aside from checking on them out in the pen to make sure they were alive and where they were supposed to be.

Now they are grown and I can't keep them away from me. :lau They hear my voice and come running, they hear my footsteps and come running, they hear my car and come running. Literally, running at a full chicken sprint! It cracks me up. They hop in the car when I open the door to get out. They follow me around the yard and property like dutiful little soldiers. They watch and supervise everything I do. When I'm inside they climb on things or try to sneak over the porch fence to look in the windows at me. I scoop them up one-handed as I walk by, flip them over, carry them three to an arm. They don't seem to mind and never try to get away. Rather, they're always under foot! My neighbor watched them for me over the holidays and she kept saying how friendly and social they were. I have no idea why. I swear I didn't do it. :confused:

So I think a moderate amount of handling is best. I can see how overdoing it would just make you the pesky giant that won't stop picking them up or making them climb on you.

I hatched some Ayam Cemani chicks last year, and they were NOT friendly AT ALL. They were in a brooder downstairs, nest to the stairs, and as soon as they heard me coming they would hide in the corners of the brooder.

Now they are in love with me, sit in my lap, eat out of my hand, sit on my shoulder; etc.

Everyday I would simply talk and sing while I was downstairs or anywhere near them, I would offer them treats in my hand, and attempted to hold them... :lol: I would put them on top of the brooder and let them look around. I could tell that they were very curious, but very, very hesitant at the same time.

It took about 9 weeks, but it worked- and boy did it pay off! :yesss:

Back
Top Bottom