Bonding with my horse AND getting her to focus???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willow's Meadow :

Quote:
I don't understand how hanging out with my horse is DANGEROUS. I know people who have been is the horse business for over 40 years that will say they are like puppy dogs....not all horses but some. And trust me she WILL NOT spook at a plastic bag, or a jacket or something flapping around. I've been on horses that will spook if a barn door is shut and it is loud or will see a plastic bag and take of running....and yes I've fallen off a lot too! I was on a pony that I was galloping and he tripped in a field and I fell off and landed on my stomach and he fell right on top of me and wouldn't get off. He kicked me in my arms and legs and I got a concusion and couldn't walk straight!!!!! I've had my wrists and ankles twisted and sprained and been kicked more times then I can remember. I've also been severely bit. I've been riding since I was 10 so it is like second nature.

Now my horse is not one of the horses that will freak out if a jacket falls of a jump or a door is shut. She has come up to me when I am sitting their and she has knocked over another chair and she will put her head down and rest it right on/by my chest.....she has never tried to knock me over or hurt me in anyway. So you all can stop treating me like I'm stupid and don't know what I'm doing!!!! Cause I can garrentee that most of you have never jumped 4'0, worked at a barn every week, taken champion at many high level rated shows, done dressage, barrel raced, trail ridden, schooled and trained green horses, worked with babies or ridden off the track thourobreds.......all of which I have done!!!!!!!

First of all

Trail ride--check, I do endurance
Dressage--check, up to First Level on my own, have ridden horses that were schooled higher in lessons
Championships--check, ridden at Arab Region XIII in hunter equitation, Regional Champ in Competitive Trail--70 miles, showed Class A in high school
Barrel Race--check, dabbled a bit at fun shows although nowhere near as good as hs rodeo or a 3D circuit
Worked at a barn every week--check, worked at the stable whose horses I rode in A-rated shows, worked at several boarding stables, a ranch and a breeding stable since
Jumped 4'0"--3'3", so not quite there
Schooled and trained green horses--check, several
Ridden off the track thoroughbreds--check, two as project horses my senior year of high school. One was 17.3hh

I know for a fact that Welsummerchicks, Patandchickens, Ewesheep and others have a resume similar to mine if not more impressive.

YOU asked for advice. If you knew everything, you probably just would have told us what you're doing.

As cute as a horse putting is head on your chest may seem, it is an extremely dangerous position to be in and you could be flattened before you ever knew what happened.

You must be fairly young to think you are invulnerable and immortal. You're not.

There is always something that can spook a horse, heck a meteorite could fall on the arena. Not likely, but it COULD happen. A horse has much quicker reflexes than you do and if it bolts forward in fear or kicks out at a noise behind it, it could hurt you without meaning to. There is always an inherent danger with horses, same as cars, trucks, airplanes, motorcycles and swimming in unfamiliar waters.​

If, in fact, you have all of this experience, why would have written the original post asking for help and advice?

I can "guarantee" that most professional horseman don't try to bond with their horses, and I consider a professional horseman to be a person that earns his living from horses and has done so for over ten years...that's my definition.

Go back to work in a professional operation. There is always more to learn!!!!

Good Luck from the heart of the bluegrass in Kentucky.. home to some of the best thoroughbreds in the world!!!

p.s. to all who responded...good job trying to keep a horselover safe!!!

Quote:
I NEVER said I do not know how to get a horse to walk, trot, canter or halt. Welsummer YOU are putting statements that I have NOT made in my mouth and you need to stop.
And welsummer where ar pictures of your horses, or you riding, or horses you've worked with etc.????? It seems like most people on BYC including myself have pictures of their horses. Who knows if you even have your own horse let alone ride? You could be one of those people that just googles stuff and answers peoples questions with the stuff they found on google or in books!!!!!

Last edited:
Willow Too bad you aren't in my state...I could ensure you animal a new home one day...... I place horses with habits like you are fostering....I take horses in that PPL don't keep because they are no longer in the shape to take care of them.. after the metal plate in their head or the horse is deemed dangerous by daddy and sent off to the killers... REALLY... Ya got some good help on here and you are thumbing your nose at the collaberative experience... I haven't jumped 4 feet... I haven't won at any shows... But I have loaded horses with broken legs... I have held ropes while ppl put down perfectly good horses that were mishandled like puppies...I am the last line of defense for human error... what i don't take goes to Canada or Mexico on a meat wagon... Really... kid...we all have different scenery... and mine is valid also... I agree with the collective here... Sorry if you don't like what you hear... I have rehabbed lots of puppies... most of em broke somebody up.... It starts with the little thigns... The small degree of something greater... Sure she is fine to you... but what about to your friend in flip flops... Really... are you going to own her forever??? and ever??? because in my line of expertise forever in the best scenario these days is two years.. How long have you owned this horse??? I never let an ill mannered spoiled horse with bad habits such as spatial issues leave my place.... alive. I have placed 100's of horses and traveled to the end of my world and seen things you haven't even heard of yet... and did things ppl just shouldn't have to do... in places that should exist... Lots of ppl have jumped 4 feet... have you had to load a phyco horse that was beaten 1/2 to death by an angry father???? The fear takes years.. They do remember....

This is cold hard facts....Like it don't like it... makes no difference... Opinions you can change... facts are facts..

What you are allowing.... A small degree of something greater

in regard to upper post....

I should really edit this so it doesn't hurt you feelings.. that is not my intent... but instead I will offer this... feel free to email me for numbers of experienced ppl that I placed animals from with puppy habits.. Be glad to give you their numbers.. they will be glad to tell you what these kind ppl have...Be silly if you want to... it is your right... If you come on here and expect less than the best from these fine folks on BYC... you have misjudged us...

Sometimes it is kinder to mention putting on a helmet than helping pick out a headstone... (just saying)

Quote:
I was just rereading this thread and discovered I thanked the wrong person! Please excuse my carelessness. I really do appreciate kind words! Thank you.

thumbsup.gif

Rusty

Well if you have done all these things that you say in this post to me, why are you asking the question that started this thread in the first place???
There is such hostility in your reply???????

Willow's Meadow :

Quote:
OKAY WHO EVER SAID I DONT KNOW WHO TO ASK MY HORSE TO WALK, TROT, CANTER, TURN?????????? I NEVER SAID THAT!!!!!!!!!!! I've shown in flat classes and hunter.....how would I do that if I didn't know how to ask for gaits?????????????? omg​

I think this is just a young upstart that is green behind the ears... that is the nearest I can figure to a OP like this.. Clearly not an experienced horseperson... rather a horse owner I suspect...or a leasor.... These are not posts of a mature adult. Good luck with your endeavor Willow... I'm out.

Original Poster, no one is putting words in your mouth. You're putting words in your own mouth. That you don't even realize it...that's really kind of unsettling.

Only ONE PERSON said anything about learn how to ask horse to walk, trot, canter. You're just avoiding the fundamental issue by turning the discussion to unimportant details.

If asked to demonstrate that you need an instructor/trainer there to help you, I just point to the posts you've made.

Experienced horse people often wind up trying to help inexperienced horse people, and the conversation usually goes just like it did here - when told they need help, the person protests vehemently and tries to pick apart the discussion, and demands to know what the proof is that they need assistance.

The answer is always, 'everything you just said'.

how to get the horse to bond. how to get the horse's attention. how to muscle the horse up - "The area where the saddle goes is NOT slopped down, its just fine......so we don't have to worry about building that up"

I think you mean sloped down....in any case, that isn't how you tell if the back has muscle, or needs more muscle or not.

re: riding in snow. Generally, unless it's very dry snow and you ride across that spot only once, the horse either winds up slipping on ice or mud. Snow doesn't usually make a very good surface for a riding arena where you ride around and around on the same tracks. Unless something is done, and often in spite of that, horses also pack snow inside their hooves, and it turns into ice, and they slip on it. There are very few parts of the US where one can use snow as a riding arena surface and ride around and around on it. Unless there is a very large field, and one keeps riding away from one's previous tracks. Even then, there is going to be some slipping and sliding, and even a very experienced rider can fail to keep the horse on all 4 feet when that happens. Unless the field is very good, there will also be the possibility of a leg going into a hole or hitting rocks or roots the snow covers up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom