1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bone Meal

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aoxa, Sep 13, 2013.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'm wondering if I can make my own bone meal for use in poultry feed?

I process my own birds here. I want to make my own feed, but my options for animal protein are nil. Fishmeal is not readily available here unless I ordered it online, and it's pricey. I cut up all my chickens and boil the bones to get all the meat and whatnot off for stock. Afterwards the bones are tossed. Seems like a waste if I can use them for something more.

I have been hesitating making my own feed because I don't have any available animal protein. Is this possible? Can I make my own?

I have Googled like crazy for nutritional value of chicken bone meal, but can not find any definitive answers. This may sound crazy.. I just really want to make my own.

2. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    No it's not crazy ;). Right now we substitute our protein with peanut skins (84% protein 16% fat). You could try that if it's available in your area or I've heard of people who feed their chickens victimized peas for protein.

HS Pye

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Interesting. Never heard tell of using peanut skins. Where would you find just the skins?

4. HS Pye

HS Pye Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2013
    Texas
    We get it from a farmer fellow. I'm not too sure, but I think he gets it from a peanut processing plant. Some say the skins have high tanin levels, but we haven't had any problems.

HS Pye

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by