Boo Hoo I dont wanna get rid of my Roo! MAY CONSIDER SHIP OR DELIVER.

Kim95037

Songster
11 Years
May 27, 2012
Morgan Hill California
Well Donald is starting to crow. So far so good with my neighbors but I dont know if it will last. He starts at about 4:30 in the morning, crows for about 15 or 20 minutes and stops. Then he starts again a little while later. I made a peace offering with some eggs to one of my neighbors behind me, they havent heard any noise yet, but Im thinking it may just be a matter of time. It was SUPPOSED to be a HEN but obviously the hatchery screwed up. Im so bummed out, this guy is gorgeous and really tame, Im quite attached to the little stinker too. Hes a Russian Orloff, his name is Donald, (changed from Daffne. Does anyone know of anyone that could give a good home to my handsome? I really dont want him to end up on someones dinner table. Im in Morgan Hill Ca, which is 15 minutes south of San Jose......
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
I would be willing to drive him to a location in Ca depending on the distance, I have never shipped an adult chicken but would consider that as well.

More Donald Pictures

https://www.backyardchickens.com/g/a/6323180/donald/

Last edited:
He's beautiful, and such nice birds. I'd love to have him! Would you be willing to ship him? If not, I'm soooo sure someone on here would want him. Le me know!

Tara

I am in the same boat. I had 3 silkie chicks and knew there was a risk that I would end up with a rooster, and I did. He's a cute boy and cares for all his ladies. He has started to get a tiny bit more aggressive with me (pecking at my hand, once thinking about attacking my leg until I changed his mind with my shoe) and crows quite a bit. Anyone who says silkie roosters don't crow is lying!
hmm.png

I close him in the coop at night. He does crow in the middle of the night on occasion, but my neighbors haven't complained. I think since it's winter and everyone's windows are closed that they can't hear him that much.

Within the city here it is not technically illegal to have a rooster, but part of the ordinance mentions nuisance in the form of smells or noise. Soooo.... I don't know what to do. Do I preempt any complaints and try to find a home for him now, or should I try to negotiate with my neighbors so I can keep him
idunno.gif

Here he is (the pretty white one in the foreground)

I am in the same boat. I had 3 silkie chicks and knew there was a risk that I would end up with a rooster, and I did. He's a cute boy and cares for all his ladies. He has started to get a tiny bit more aggressive with me (pecking at my hand, once thinking about attacking my leg until I changed his mind with my shoe) and crows quite a bit. Anyone who says silkie roosters don't crow is lying!
hmm.png

I close him in the coop at night. He does crow in the middle of the night on occasion, but my neighbors haven't complained. I think since it's winter and everyone's windows are closed that they can't hear him that much.

Within the city here it is not technically illegal to have a rooster, but part of the ordinance mentions nuisance in the form of smells or noise. Soooo.... I don't know what to do. Do I preempt any complaints and try to find a home for him now, or should I try to negotiate with my neighbors so I can keep him
idunno.gif

Here he is (the pretty white one in the foreground)
I'd try to talk/bribe them into the Roo. Unless they work swing shift and sleep late they shouldn't be too bothered. My Roo isn't very loud- Honestly, my hens are louder when they lay!

Check out the Buy-Sell-Trade forum here on BYC. You might find someone looking for a roo. That's where I found two of my current boys, so there are people there who are looking! The fact that he's a cool breed will help find him a new home.

There's also craigslist.

Aw, poor Donald! I had a roo that I recently had to rehome. He was a big beautiful EE, solid black, didn't crow a lot and not very loud, but my older girls did NOT like his uh, *attentions* and my blue orp actually started hiding from him so he had to go. I craigslisted him and found someone who wanted a new rooster because they had lost theirs to a predator. I didn't get tons of responses but enough to tell me people are looking.

Yeah, my poor little Tabitha who is a bantam EE has been hiding from Donald. She doesnt like his 'attention' either. My other two hens are taking turns protecting each other. When Donald jumps on one the other comes and pulls on the feathers on his head. Its actually pretty funny.

I'm so sorry! I haven't been online in a few days. I am in Shawnee, Oklahoma. I'm always a bit aprehensive about shipping birds... but he's so pretty! I am IN LOVE with Russian Orloffs since finding the breed just recently.

Let me know and again, I'm sorry it's taken so long.

Tara

Back
Top Bottom