BOO HOO I LOST 4 OUT OF MY SIX !!!!!!!!!! SEE END OF THREAD

I just got a FB post from MPC stating they would not be shipping baby chicks to a bunch of zip codes because of the extreme heat, would contact those who were expecting orders:(

It's a very bad time of year to be getting chicks in the mail. Sometimes, you just have to be sure to schedule it when the weather won't be brutally hot like it is now or below freezing in winter. Poor things are getting cooked in those mail trucks.

Yeah I think the weather played a major role, I buried my 4 little chicks yesterday, so sad..... I went and got two more baby chicks at a local place, a couple of brahmas. They seem to be getting along just fine with my little easter eggers. I finally went back outside and started working on my coop again. Yesterday I was to depressed to do anything. Heres a pic of my little ones. The lighter colored ones are the bantam easter eggers that survived.

The heat most likely was a factor but the little chicks probably were also hungry because they don't get a single crumb of food until they get to you where you take care of that, so maybe the food also hampered them.

Im sure it was a combination of everything. I got water and food for them immediately, three of them were chomping down on watermelon. One died about an hour after I got home and the other two I gave them water with electrolytes with an eye dropper. (I let them pick it off of my finger or dripped down their beak, I didnt force any water down them). I dont know if I will ever ship chicks again, I feel horrible the litte guys had such a terrible trip, it was heartbreaking to see them suffer like that and then to bury them next to my other pets I have lost. I wonder if they would have had a better chance if they werent bantams? Also the two that survived were bigger and therefore older to I suspect.......

Back
Top Bottom