BOO HOO I LOST 4 OUT OF MY SIX !!!!!!!!!! SEE END OF THREAD

Kim95037

Songster
11 Years
May 27, 2012
Morgan Hill California
Well I got 6 chicks today, one has already died. They were shipped from Ohio via My Pet Chicken, I think the trip was really hard one the poor little guys. 3 look pretty good, the other two are questionable. Ive been giving them water with electrolytes in it via a dropper, ( I let them drink it off of my finger or suck it off of their beak before it drips off. Should I wake them up every once in a while to give them some water or let them sleep??? The poor things are exausted.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this.Maybe you can add some glucose or milk power in the water, perhaps it can supply extra energy.

I put some electrolytes in their water. I lost one overnight and one just died in my hand. Now I have another one that was doing fine acting just like the ones that died. No more shipped chicks for me. I think the trip was too hard on them. They got from Ohio to California in two days so who knows what they went thru. This is such a bummer. I have an excellent set up, I raised 6 baby chicks from a local store with no problems.....

They were pooping normal, they were eating some water melon and a little of the crumbles. I just lost another one a little while ago, he seemed fine yesterday. I called the shipper they are going to refund my lost ones. THe only two that are going to survive are slightly bigger than the other ones. I dont know if thats what made the difference or not. What a bummer, Im so sad. I guess bantam chicks are way fragile (?). Im expandingMan my coop big time and even bought another coop to add to my existing one so Im going to go down to the store and get a couple more chicks. Man the ones that died were SO pretty too. Not very good odds, 2 out of 6.
sad.png

Hmmm, well that's too bad. Sorry about that. Hopefully the others will be ok. The heat has been excessive and maybe that contributed? Good luck with the next batch!
Cathy

have you called the company? Be sure to let them know. They will probibly reship or credit you back. When I ordered 26 form MMH and had 14 die (including many extras they had included) they reshipped 26 birds (including extra red star pullets... that I thought we boys and took to the feed store.. darn it!)

Thats where I got my chicks from was MPC. I already let them know, they are going to refund me for the lost chicks. Im kind of paranoid now to have anymore shipped. So I lost 4 out of 6. Im so bummed out. Interestingly enough the ones that survived are the same color and the same size, and a little bigger than the other ones. Maybe bantam chicks are too fragile? I think they had a really rough trip. Im thinking now about going and getting a couple of chicks locally, I wonder if it will be ok to put a couple of week old chicks in that arent bantams in with these guys.

mine came from MPC on June 4th, I did lose one right away, it was sickly acting coming out of the box (and I got them overnite)..the others all healthy, no problems and they just turned 6 weeks old.

I think this heat is terrible on chicks, plus the stress of shipping right now. Ya never know how the postal drivers take care of their charges, some let them ride in the front, who knows? AC could have been on, to hot?

I just think this time of year with the heat isn't a good time to get baby chicks:(

Back
Top Bottom