I think my chicken is dying

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I got this poor girl from a family friend when she was a year old. My mom wanted to slaughter her but I couldn't let her do it. She was still laying eggs for a bit but stopped this summer. I think she had curled toes when she was a chick and it wasn't fixed so she suffered a poor posture and growth her whole life and as a result was bullied. Some of my meanest hens pecked off all her feathers and she was hiding for the longest time. I've been wanting to separate her but we had chicks and I had to use the doghouse for them but they don't need it anymore so I can put her in there now.

I left for vacation for ten days and when I came back she was in really bad shape, hunched over, not eating or drinking, sleeping while standing, not moving much. It's been three days and I've been giving her some water mixed with electrolytes, probiotics and a raw egg. That gets her to eat, drink and walk around a bit but I know it's temporary. I think the longest you can give chickens electrolytes is one week?

After one week I'll give her poultry cell with a raw egg mixed in until she can't be here anymore. I don't know what else to do. I know the logical thing to do would be to just let her go or slaughter her but she's a pet so that's definitely tough for me to do.

Attachments

• PXL_20230803_032217772.jpg
    PXL_20230803_032217772.jpg
    800.7 KB · Views: 95
  • PXL_20230803_005346271.jpg
    PXL_20230803_005346271.jpg
    759.9 KB · Views: 23
She's not dying. She's was under a lot of stress and traumatized from your flock. You have to keep her away from your flock for a long while and spend some time with her. She can recover. Having her around chicks will help. Make sure you feed her high protein feed since she's not laying. You can also turn it into mash or fermented mash by adding water and letting it sit for 2 days. It should smell like yeast or close to it. Make small batches.

She's not dying. She's was under a lot of stress and traumatized from your flock. You have to keep her away from your flock for a long while and spend some time with her. She can recover. Having her around chicks will help. Make sure you feed her high protein feed since she's not laying. You can also turn it into mash or fermented mash by adding water and letting it sit for 2 days. It should smell like yeast or close to it. Make small batches.
You're spot on about her being traumatized. Not that she has any friends in the flock but there is this one hen that freaks her out even at the sight of her and even when she's separated by fencing. The chicks do seem to help keep her spirit up a bit. She used to hide in dark places and only came out to eat and drink when I was around so when I was gone that probably stressed her out a lot, especially since I was pretty much her only friend. At least she's getting some sun now that she's separated.

She does seem to like wet feed better and will eat some treats and scrambled eggs mixed in. I only thought she was dying because when I check on her in the mornings she won't eat and is hunched over and closes her eyes when standing but she perks up once I give her the electrolytes water, so I was concerned that once I can't give her electrolytes anymore, will she just keep getting worse? I hope the poultry cell can help.

You're spot on about her being traumatized. Not that she has any friends in the flock but there is this one hen that freaks her out even at the sight of her and even when she's separated by fencing. The chicks do seem to help keep her spirit up a bit. She used to hide in dark places and only came out to eat and drink when I was around so when I was gone that probably stressed her out a lot, especially since I was pretty much her only friend. At least she's getting some sun now that she's separated.

She does seem to like wet feed better and will eat some treats and scrambled eggs mixed in. I only thought she was dying because when I check on her in the mornings she won't eat and is hunched over and closes her eyes when standing but she perks up once I give her the electrolytes water, so I was concerned that once I can't give her electrolytes anymore, will she just keep getting worse? I hope the poultry cell can help.
She will perk up on her own once she gets use to her new living arrangement.

If you have some pick-no-more it has a healing cream in it. (? Aloe Vera maybe?) Make sure she has shade, she can sunburn on bare skin.

I would go to poultry cell immediately as she needs nutrients. She and the chicks can eat rich foods, like wet chick feed.

The chicks should grow up to be her friends if there is always lots of food. No competition for resources.

She needs to be your favorite. Walk around the coop with her in your arms so the other hens see

If you have some pick-no-more it has a healing cream in it. (? Aloe Vera maybe?) Make sure she has shade, she can sunburn on bare skin.

I would go to poultry cell immediately as she needs nutrients. She and the chicks can eat rich foods, like wet chick feed.

The chicks should grow up to be her friends if there is always lots of food. No competition for resources.

She needs to be your favorite. Walk around the coop with her in your arms so the other hens see
She's been doing a lot better after adjusting to her new living arrangement, as the other poster has mentioned. Yep, she does have shade. I noticed yesterday that it looks like her feathers are finally starting to grow back. I think she was too stressed from before for them to grow back as she never molted. Maybe I'll wait for them to settle in before touching her too much but I do give her treats first when I have them. Unfortunately, my two chick babies were eaten by rats so they're no longer with us. She seems to really like her stuffed rooster though.

Last edited:
She's been doing a lot better after adjusting to her new living arrangement, as the other poster has mentioned. Yep, she does have shade. I noticed yesterday that it looks like her feathers are finally starting to grow back. I think she was too stressed from before for them to grow back as she never molted. Maybe I'll wait for them to settle in before touching her too much but I do give her treats first when I have them. Unfortunately, my two chick babies were eaten by rats so they're no longer with us. She seems to really like her stuffed rooster though.
I understand and respect that you are concerned about hurting her with contact, but as raw as it looks, she has healthy skin, and a gentle caress will go a long way to soothing her fears. Curl her up against you with your arms around her will let her feel the safety that tiny chicks feel hiding under their momma's wings. Very gentle caress on her comb will be very comforting too. It is super sensitive skin, so it gives little shivers of happiness when you caress gently.

Love is the cure, and it is (obviously) something you are very skilled at showing.

You might be young enough to hear this: consider a job as a teacher of young children, or something similar. Your capacity for empathy is rare and very valuable.

I understand and respect that you are concerned about hurting her with contact, but as raw as it looks, she has healthy skin, and a gentle caress will go a long way to soothing her fears. Curl her up against you with your arms around her will let her feel the safety that tiny chicks feel hiding under their momma's wings. Very gentle caress on her comb will be very comforting too. It is super sensitive skin, so it gives little shivers of happiness when you caress gently.

Love is the cure, and it is (obviously) something you are very skilled at showing.

You might be young enough to hear this: consider a job as a teacher of young children, or something similar. Your capacity for empathy is rare and very valuable.
Thanks for the tips. I wasn't aware their combs are super sensitive. Maybe I'll massage it with some CalmRx later so it won't feel as raw.

Haha thanks. I am not that young however. I have heard something similar from people that know me in real life, about working with young children as they do seem to open up toward me versus other adults. I'm already far along enough in my current career but volunteering with young children isn't out of the question. I'll have to sit on this. Thanks for noticing and pointing that out.

Back
Top Bottom