Bood Ring??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CayleeMarie03, Jan 14, 2013.

1. CayleeMarie03

CayleeMarie03 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Okay i have 2 eggs that i think might have blood rings but i can't tell if it is or not. One has a thin red ring the goes all the way around the egg, but the other goes almost all the way then just goes back down to the air sack and they don't connect, so i don't know whether to get rid of it or not, it just doesn't look like the veining in the other eggs, this is my 3rd incubation and I have never had a blood ring. Ohhh!!! I tried to take pics but you just couldn't see anything.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    What day are you on? I would be tempted to let them go a little longer. It should soon become apparent whether or not they are keeping up to the other developing eggs.

3. CayleeMarie03

CayleeMarie03 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    I am on day 8ish

4. The one with a full ring is dead and you can keep the other one in their if you want to but it might be dead it is what I call the ring of death.

5. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    A solid ring around the middle with no shadow above or below is a dead egg. Viable eggs sometimes have a thin ring around the top of a shadow where the blood vessels are. Maybe this is what you're seeing? I always tell myself when in doubt, leave it in the bator.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 below is a paste from my notes in the article....there are some great links to a ton of more pics on good and bad egg candling...

Day 11 candle funky air cells from shipped eggs.
    BLOOD RINGS clearly visible on light polish eggs

[​IMG]

Saddle Shaped Air cell, where it dips on two sides
    BLOOD RINGS clearly visible on light polish eggs

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by