booder temp

PapaChaz

Crowing
9 Years
May 25, 2010
NW Georgia
Hey everyone. Today I brought home 8 blue americana chicks. 6 of them are a week old, 2 were hatched yesterday. I was somewhat worried about the age difference, until I saw the 1 day old ones each push a 1 week old one aside to scratch in the feed........

at first I was using an old rabbit hutch as my brooder, but couldn't get the temp above 75*, even directly under the heat lamp. They were all huddled directly under the light so I moved them into a large cardboard box, with the rabbit hutch wire cage upside down in the top so I could get the light closer. My brooder thermometer is at 86*, which 'by the book' is still too cold, but checking on them they're not all huddled up, only one was even under the light, the rest were scattered about the box. Should I be concerned? I know what the book says, but I also have enough sense to know if they were cold, they'd be huddled up under the light still........one is even sleeping over by the water jug.

Let the chicks tell you what they need. You are doing great at reading what they want. Not all thermometers are accurate and can be off by several degrees. Keep doing what you are doing and everything will be fine.

David

Every set of chicks will differ in their heat needs. My last batch didn't like it any warmer than 85 their first week. Thermometers are more trouble than they're worth. The chicks' behavior is the best gauge of the proper temperature.

I got a thermostat for reptile cage. However we live in Hawaii, no AC etc.
we use a wire dog kennel and plastic storage box in it) w a heat lamp on top. We have been at 94 during the day and 88 at night so far they seem very happy w it.

Reason I choose this set up was simply to keep them in the house and safe from dogs, cat, toddlers etc ...

as an update, I've put another thermometer in, a wireless cooking thermometer, (thankfully they're too young to know what that is yet, HA) anyway, seems the brooder thermometer is off about 6 degrees, it's showing 84 right now and the digital is reading 90. I knew these chicks were telling the truth! they seem to be pretty happy with it right there, so I'll leave it be

ahh, the things we do for our chicks!

So I was up about 5:30 this morning, and on my way back to bed I realized the brooder light was out. NOT GOOD! tried a couple of different bulbs in the clamp light, none would work. Got dressed, went across the yard to the workshop, got my worklight and brought back in. It wouldn't work, tried all the spare bulbs in the house in it as well, nothing. So got completely dressed and drove into town to Kroger, open 24 hours. Hoped they would have a clamp light and a heat lamp bulb. They had neither.....
he.gif

so by now it's after 6, and wally world is open. They did have clamp on brooder lights, but no kind of bulb that I was satisfied would be sufficient.
he.gif
By now it's almost 7, and home depot is across the street, so away we go!

Finally got a new clamp on light, a 125w heat lamp bulb. Back home got it all set back up with some heat back on the chicks and it's sitting right now at a comfy 89*. I don't know how long the light was out when I got up, but I do know the temp was 73*, and they were at that for most likely around 2 hours. Will be watching them close today to see if there are any ill effects of them being that cool for that long
fl.gif

Probably they won't have suffered at all. They would huddle together to keep each other warm as the temp dropped. It's not like it got down to freezing.

But I commend your valiant efforts at being a good chick papa!

I gave up on the cardboard box and went to Home Depot and bought some osb board. If you ask them, they'll cut it for you. I had them rip two sheets in half longways for me, then I cut one of those pieces for the ends when I got home and me and the nail gun had some fun. Something else too, if you ask them if they have any scraps or 'dunnage' they'll give you some. I used it for the legs and the braces. Total of $15, well a few nails for the nail gun, but this is 2x2x8. No lids yet, but I have a few days before I have to worry about it. I plan on getting some frames made and covering with hardware cloth for lids on top....

I put a couple short pieces of 2x4 to set the feeder and waterer on, and a few pieces of pecan chunks from my smoker pile for them to jump on....

I did move the light to one end instead of having it in the middle. I put a digital wireless thermometer in there, and it's pretty much holding in the 88 to 91 degree range. I feel much better about it now, and they have room to grow!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom