Boogers progress...for those that have been asking .

unionwirewoman

Songster
12 Years
Sep 14, 2007
Kalispell , MT
Our computer crashed about 2 months ago...so it's been rough on trying to figure out how to upload pics again !! Hopefully I've figured it out now....unfortunately I lost about 3,000 pics some of which were my sisters .

Here's a reminder of what Booger looked like about 2 months ago .

3999_dsc01484.jpg

Here (hopefully !!!) is a pic that I took about 2 weeks ago .

DSC01543.jpg

I'm really hoping these turn out for all of you to see ! I've worked SO hard on getting him back to where he should be ! He has stopped limping , he's less swollen , and it seems to be healing very well ! After over 2 months of daily bandaging , cleaning , and meds...I'm happy to say he's glad to have his girls back , and has been running wildly around the pasture ! He'll always have a big scar....and next year will tell how hard I can ride him , but he's the hardest worker I've seen so I'm sure things will be back to normal soon !

Last edited:
Thanks SO much ! It was pretty bad times for awhile . I've dealt with some bad injuries before....but this really tested me ! $1000 later he's finally recovering....just wish he'd quit fighting over the fence ! My roomate if you all remember...her horse wasn't as bad off , ended up getting an infection on the back of his hock because she was wrapping it too tight . I tried to tell her....but she wouldn't listen . She's the type anyway that gets peeved if he gets a scratch or bite mark on him . She moved out last month which is fine....although I bought extra hay for her horse because she asked me to . She didn't like the fact that it was year old hay that was in a barn ( 60-40 alfalfa timothy ) . I'm sorry....but I'm not going to pay $180 + a ton for hay . I bought it for $120 delivered . You don't feed farm horses straight alfalfa anyway !!!
he.gif

Is there a reason why you wrap the leg? opposed to leaving it open and washing it off then, doctoring it?

Just wondering

ETA- as long as the hay wasn't moldy,there would be nothing wrong with it.Unless she wants her horse to founder ,I would hope she doesn't feed a large amount of straight alfalfa.

Last edited:
I haven't wrapped it in about 2 months now . He was wrapped in special anti-bacterial wraps for 2 months because of the infection in his joint . Let me specify....really long story that I'll try to tell quickly . He got caught in the fence fighting . Went to the vet , he wanted them wrapped for 5 days at a time then change it . I did this for 3 times ...then realized it was doing no good ...asked for advice up here...then took him back to the vet to find that the infection went into his joint . For the last month and a half he has been wrap and ointment free ( I know I'm going to catch flack for this...but there was hardly any proud flesh and it's healing very well . ) I was wrapping it everyday off of advice from here for about a month....but it doesn't do any good to do it when the infection goes into the joint . Sometimes you just have to follow your instincts . I knew it wasn't getting better...I knew the first vet was a crock...so I timed it right to get a new vet . Did I follow the new vets instructions by the letter...no . Sometimes you just have to trust what you know ! Anyway...long story short ....he's on his way to recovery...and I can't wait to ride him next year....although I'm sure it'll be some what of a rodeo just like your pics Buck wild !
tongue.png

No the hay isn't moldy.....she claims to be a horse woman , but then asks me what I think , and asks where to administor the penacillin shot ?! I understand about switching hay/grass . Colic is a big issue too depending on the horse .

Last edited:
Well if he didn't have the infection in his joint or whatever "I" wouldn't have wrapped it period.The tissue needs air to breath so it can scab over,gradually the wound will heal, hydrotherapy and diluted meat tenderizer works and my vet uses this method, (I clean the clinic barns on Saturdays).A gelding came in with a injury like that but deeper,right below the shoulder.I had to wash it down twice a day and spray the meat tenderizer on it,it worked and he was almost completely healed when he left a month later.I did this with a chicken that had a huge hole in her side and we kept her in the house for a month and it healed she just has dent in her side lol... Thats just what I would have done,not saying thats what you should have done or anything

You were right by your instincts.I'm glad he is doing better

Quote:
If I had not wrapped it , then the infection would have presented itself worse than what it was . I was VERY irritated by the first vet who deemed my horse not survivable , and was unwilling to do x-rays on the first visit . After following the vet orders for 21/2 weeks I decided to try to find another option , when that wasn't working , I finally got a different vet who switched anti-biotics and found that the infection went into his joint . You CANNOT expose an infection like that to air . All it does is to invite more infection into an area that is nearly impossible to get rid of in the first place . The point I'm making is that you have to try to follow vet orders...when that's not working...follow your instincts .

You made a believer out of me.

I was with the first vet when I first saw the extent of the injury, I thought he needed to be put down.

You are amazing.

Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom