Books on care for goats.

joshram

Songster
7 Years
Jun 6, 2015
Missouri
I was looking for a book on Amazon for caring for and i was wondering if any of you guys would recommend a book that would help me. I looked at Raising Goats for Dummies. Is it a good book?
And I was thinking of only having the goats as pets.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It has a lot of good information in it, I would recommend it, it doesn't have any pictures, just drawings, so if you were wanting actual pictures it doesn't have any. I would also recommend Raising Goats Naturally, by Deborah Niemann.

Go to caprinesupply.com. Caprine Supply is run by goat owners and they offer a wide variety of books for both the beginner and the experienced goat owner. In any event it is a good idea to send for their catalog. In addition to supplies it is full of good information on a variety of things pertaining to goats.

You may be able to find free books on UNFAO (food and agric organisation of the United Nations) website - sure their publications focus on raising animals in the developing world, but I see paradigms for other parts of the world, particularly if one wishes to keep things organic and with limited resources. ILRI (international livestock research institute) could also be another potential source of free publications. Even if you only get a few nuggets from them, they are free so it's no sweat.

All the best

Ct

Last edited:
Another place you can check out is the local farm adviser's office. They will have bulletins on goats and other livestock meant for 4H projects. These publications are very helpful and they are free or available at very low cost. If they don't have what you want in stock they will have a list of what is available and you can order what you want. The University of Pennsylvania used to have correspondence courses on various classes of livestock. I got the ones they had on poultry, dairy goats, and home butchering and processing of meats. I don't know if the still offer these, but it is worth checking out. The courses were very inexpensive and the written materials were well written and informative. Just write the university and ask.

Back
Top Bottom