Books you recommend...

newchickenista

Songster
8 Years
Jan 25, 2012
Southeastern, Oklahoma
I am interested in what books anyone qould recommend on keeping chickens? I know about Storey' guide, but what else? Are there any books dedicated completely to keeping chickens the "old fashioned way"? How about for free range chickens? Interested in any recommendations!

Hi,

Im not honestly too sure how helpful some books are - i prefer to use BYC as my main source of reference. I do have some chicken books (iBook and pdf format) that id be happy to try and send to you if you like. Just send me an email address as a private message and i will try!
CT

I read a couple dozen or so chicken keeping books, 95% of them weren't worth the price of purchase.
Luckily we have an excellent state wide library lending system so I was able to borrow everything I wanted to read.

The only ones I would recommend would be Gail Damerow's chicken health, Story's guide for dummies-actually written by Damerow, and Harvey Ussery's The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers.

Even those must be taken with a grain of salt or two, just like anything you read here at BYC, as there is some misinformation and it's only one persons techniques. But they are pretty good comprehensive starting points and topics can be researched further to fit your own goals and resources...but experience is the best teacher to develop your own management techniques.

Back
Top Bottom