Booting the babies outside!

Gerty0630

Songster
Jan 15, 2019
SE, Michigan
Trying to get some opinions from fellow duck owners. I have two sets of ducklings right now. The first set is 7 weeks, the second set is 3 weeks. The 3 week old ducklings are quickly outgrowing their large tote brooder. The 7 week old ducklings have a much larger brooder but there is not room for 6 ducklings in there. I want to get the 7 week old babies outside this weekend so I can get the 3 week old babies in the bigger brooder - where I live it's going to be in the 60s during the day, but it'll be a low of 35 overnight over the weekend. I'm thinking/hoping if I put a couple heat lamps outside with them, they should be fine. There will be 2 adult ducks, and the 3 ducklings in this area outside. Everyone agree they'll be fine temperature wise overnight with assistance of heat lamps, or am i nuts? :lau

I think so but have the 7 week olds and the adults met? Might want to work on that first before putting them all together. And if you have a hormonal drake it wouldn't be a good idea to put the 7 weeks old with him.
Them getting together is no issue :) theyve been foraging the yard together during the day for a bit already and get along famously. The only potential issue was the temps overnight!

A little off topic but what did you use for the bigger brooder? I’m looking for ideas for when mine out grow their current brooder.
I feel you, large brooder ideas that aren't super complicated are kinda hard to come up with! We went to Menard and got two pieces of 4x10 wood and literally just cut and screwed them into one another in a 4x4 square (bc we only have 3 babies - depending if you have more or less you could adjust the size obviously). Cost about $20 and a half hour of time! Super quick, super easy!

Last edited:
A little off topic but what did you use for the bigger brooder? I’m looking for ideas for when mine out grow their current brooder.
What about one of the bigger kid pools. You'd have to get some cardboard or something like it to stand up all around it but It kept my little street gang under control last year and then you can use the pool for them to swim in.

Back
Top Bottom