BOP, Chicken or Dog?

TheGooch

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2016
Goochland VA
Have had a year old coonhound for just over two weeks. He was raised around chickens and ducks and never gone after any including mine. We have bever witnessed him after our girls. Purpose for getting dog is to deter predators.

Flock of six about 24 weeks old. One of the more independent birds was found as far under the shed as she could get @ 1030am. Small patch of feathers missing from the center of her back just below base of neck and she has slight limp. Feathers found in middle of yard. She remains very sketched out.

It is my feeling a BOP tried to take her and failed. Either she got away or dog spooked it.

Yard is mostly heavily wooded. Feathers found in open area. Shed was closest solid cover to area feathers were found. I know for a fact we have every manner of BOP around.

What say you?

Your post shows you still have an inkling of mistrust, , you hope the dog did its job but the issue i see with hounds is the Roaming ,hunting, it sounds great until the hound is out running deer a mile away instead of at home watching the fort like protection dog would,, I know hounds to well if left out to there own they will go find something to trail and its not always near the house ,,good luck keep that dog near you in the chicken yard and let it be known the chicken are off limits.

I was not able to trust 1 year old Black and Tan Coon Hounds around chickens even when I raised dogs as pups. Especially when they were bored. Dog would do damage as described but in next image might also chase off your BOP.

I maintain an inkling of distrust towards all living things. We are all animals. That said, I agree he is bored. With the heat and humidity breaking I will take him on long walk abouts.

What I find most compelling is the location of the missing feathers. A golf ball sized spot right in the middle of her back.

Perhaps she did it by wedging herself so tightly under the shed. If only she we would tell us but mums the word.

Last edited:
Did you examine bird down to skin all over looking for talon punctures?
Hard to do, but may give clue.

Upon further inspection there are scratches and a second spot on the neck with feathers removed. Going with my gut and dropping all charges against the dog. Plenty of reasonable doubt.

The dog has killed two and injured another. Much to our dismay he will be leaving. As is always the case its your favorites. He will be moving to a stable of hunting dogs.....perhaps that will be more to his liking.

All of my best dogs have killed chickens, all. And it would periodically occur from 6 months to about 18 months. Not the end of the world, rather par for the course. This was even with coon hounds. Employ separate but equal except under supervision. Those chickens will attract what the hound is supposed to go after.

We are gonna replace the two he killed and send him packing. We may try a dog again @ some point but it will be either an older "chicken dog" or a real LGD. We keep them in an elevated coop that is locked tight @ night. We are generally oitside @ dusk n dawn. If something else kills one I wont have fed it or provided healthcare and housing.

Gonna work on a mobile yard to keep them in when we are not home. Something with avian netting.

Back
Top Bottom