Borders Bookstore moves to close

Quote:
That is true; I remember several scenes with Capt Picard reading a classic novel on a kindle-like device, and one where he was reading a real book and commented on how much better it was.

FWIW, I, too find the kindle lighting very hard on my eyes. When I looked at prices of books (and I was looking at currently published books, not classics), the price was every bit as much as purchasing a real book. With the lower cost of materials and publishing, an e-book should cost half the amount of a paper-and-ink book for the author and publisher to receive the same profit. SOMEONE is making that extra profit, and my guess is that it is NOT the author.

Sonoran Silkies-and here (price) is why I believe e-books will not overtake paper books completely. Many people will not pay, are outraged by the idea of paying, the same price for a electronic copy of a book when it is priced at the same level or only $1-4 less than the hardcover/paperback of the same book. The top publishers have banded together with the help of Apple and now e-book prices are often set by the publishers and not outlets like Amazon or B&N. I like my kindle for the low priced new authors and free books. However, I prefer real books and independent bookstores over the major chains but they are really hard to find. Long Live Books!

I love books and read as much as I can. I have a kindle and love it as well, the new releases are about half the price of buying the hardback in the store. Things are always changing. For better or worse; I guess it depends on your point of view. There are lots and lots of things that past generations used that we do not. I imagine that one day paper books will be a thing of the past and that will make me treasure the ones I have, and dearly love, that much more.

I don't know that I would ever be able to completely transition to e-books. Although I said the same thing about going from CDs to MP3s and I now own an ipod, with most of my music in electronic copies only.
roll.png
I just love paper books too much though. I think the kindles look convenient, but it would take me a long time to get used to.

I will be very sad if Borders goes out of business. They can be expensive, but I love browsing in the book store and I often get gift cards for christmas from my parents. I spent about three hours in there the other day picking out some new novels to read. I love going in there with no idea what I want and just looking through everything.

I love my Kindle.
I love my books more. If by the time I'm a published author my books don't have the option of being paperback, I will cry.
You cannot sit in an armchair with a cappuccino and a book in an Amazon website.

I'll miss Boarders.... One of my favorite places. I could spend hours there.

Quote:
They'll probably burn all the books before too long anyway. They have too many facts about our past.

I kind of like my Kindle When I fall asleep while reading it I don't have to figure out where I left off. The print size is adjustable too.

Last edited:
Well, if not Borders, there's the library, and Amazon.com used books. But it's fun to go to Borders or B&N, and browse.
My DH bought me a kindle. It was a novelty to me. I used it quite a bit in the beginning. But then I realized what I was paying for kindle books--alot even not new releases! Not fair. Then, my biggest thrill with books was passing them on. Not the same with a Kindle. For the money it costs to buy a book on that thing, I should be able to share it with anyone I want.

I will probably end up selling it.

As much as I would like a Kindle, or, whatever those new fangled computer like books are called, I love a good paper back anyday. The feel of the paper, the new book smell, the way a book looks upon a book-shelf, so much better then some, whatever they're called..

Back
Top Bottom