bored and winning chicken

chickyleah

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 1, 2013
My light sussex is so noise she winges and winnes im sure she is bored she lives wisilkie who she loves but is broodie at the moment and a young silkie cross who she picks on any idears what to do she has plenty of food a 4 metre cage with dirt to dig in please help

Does she live in that cage 24/7? Was she raised in that cage?

If you didn't raise her she may be used to free ranging or to a much larger cage. Chooks aren't mice, they're not actually happy in very small cages. Those that have never known different cope much better than those which were used to roaming and then are restricted to a cage.

Yes she has always lived it it since i got her at 6 weeks. its not a tiny cage its quite big 4 metres x 1.5

She does it till she gets what she wants does it first thing in the morning for her fresh seed and other normally lettice or similar. but other times i dont know what she wants. my chooks are unbeleviably fussy with food

Ah, yeah, they can get as spoilt as any other animal. If she makes that whining noise and food appears every time, she is smart enough to understand how to make things appear in future. Chooks aren't as stupid as people think.

I would guess you either can't have roosters there or don't want to? A boyfriend could occupy her. Chooks tend to have a pretty strong drive towards becoming a family unit with the opposite gender. Another option which may not actually be an option for you, is to free range her. Sorry, I'm not sure how to entertain a caged chook, I freerange mine, but when I have had to cage them temporarily, some did complain about it, lol! Best wishes.

Iv always thought they are very smart. im not ment to have roosters bit funny enough i have a19 week old silkie cross that the two girls raised and hopfully it wont crow as it hasnt yes i really wanna keep it. Just my girl Faith is so noisie its rediculas

I'm not sure what the law is where you are but in some places you can keep Silkie roosters in suburbia because they're classified as cage birds.

Back
Top Bottom