Bored Chickens make a not so fun time

Pics
I have 13 egg laying hens. They are being incredibly aggressive, with humans and with each other (biting, not pecking, the. Faces of my father and I, and flying up to bite us for we are in there). I was wondering if there was anything you guys knew that would help. I gave them a rolling chicken toy from Kaytee. I was wondering if there was anything else. I am renovating the chicken coop this summer so I was just wondering. Any advice would be appreciated.
You should have considered informing yourself how much space chickens need before even getting the chickens. Thats like prison for them. I can assure you they are not happy chickens.

You should have considered informing yourself how much space chickens need before even getting the chickens. Thats like prison for them. I can assure you they are not happy chickens.
First of all OP has stated they are fathers chickens, not OP's. OP is trying to learn so as to help. Hindsight is 20/20 but when you are new you believe what you are told by anyone including prefab coop manufacturers. OP is now realizing this and is asking for help. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

@WiccanKC I am betting you have the same coop as me. I was able to make a temporary adjustment for my 7 birds. You are going to need to get a bigger coop fast! Pallets are free and you can build from them. Hoop coops are a good. Meanwhile, can you enclose the coop and make a temporary run? Here's how I made my tiny coop a bit better. It still won't be anywhere near big enough for your flock but with a run it might help while you get really really busy building bigger.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/altering-my-terrible-ts-coop.1267790/

First of all OP has stated they are fathers chickens, not OP's. OP is trying to learn so as to help. Hindsight is 20/20 but when you are new you believe what you are told by anyone including prefab coop manufacturers. OP is now realizing this and is asking for help. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

@WiccanKC I am betting you have the same coop as me. I was able to make a temporary adjustment for my 7 birds. You are going to need to get a bigger coop fast! Pallets are free and you can build from them. Hoop coops are a good. Meanwhile, can you enclose the coop and make a temporary run? Here's how I made my tiny coop a bit better. It still won't be anywhere near big enough for your flock but with a run it might help while you get really really busy building bigger.

Thank you for reminding peeps that these are not the OP's birds but rather OP's fathers birds.

It is important for peeps to read the whole thread, offer helpful things and not judge so harshly when people ask for help.

These are my labeled sketches of the whole, coop, and just the hen house. Any feed back would be lovely. I also have the projected measurements.
Sketches have no dimensions, get some graph paper and a tape measure.
Also @Texas Kiki can help you learn to upload pics without zipping them.

I cannot let them free range due to vultures, owls, dogs, coyotes, et cedra. But those were the same plan. One paper was just the inside. I did make a new plan though, just to give my father some extra options to choose from

Hello again, @WiccanKC.

As you have certainly ascertained by now, the chickens are attacking because they are miserable in their far too small enclosure.

Even if you started right now, it is still going to take time to correct their housing problem. If the birds cannot be released to free range, 2/3 of the population should be rehomed ASAP. Your father could sell them now for $10 per bird if they are less than 18 months old. I strongly recommend that. You care for their well being so let them be happy right now by getting them out of their very poor situation.

The MINIMUM space recommendations are 3 sq ft per bird for the coop and 10 sq ft per bird for the run. These are MINIMUMS. You are FAR better off going with 4 ft2 in the coop and as big as you can for the run. Is Dad able to help with all of this?

I don't want to get rid of my girls, but I don't want them to suffer either. That is why am am expanding the coop to as big as it can be. I am an activist against chicken abuse, I want to hold up my part. I may even start the renovation earlier than planned
:hugs You're doing great! We all get misguided (I could tell you some of my stories!) and you're doing all you can to fix the problem, which is more than a lot of other people would do.

To a much lesser degree, I know what it feels like when you have dozens of people coming to your thread and telling you over and over that you're doing things horrendously wrong, and how overwhelming that can be. But you're handling it perfectly. (no disrespect to you guys, I understand that for the most part you are just trying to help and sometimes the truth is hard)

And, this is just my opinion, but don't post any information that OP already knows. If you're coming here just to tell him that his coop is way too small and have no additional information or suggestions I would think twice. He already knows that, at least a dozen people have said it by now. Giving him the same information over and over clogs up the thread, provides no help and in my experience it feels constricting. Let's not kick a dead horse.

Last edited:
I think several things are in play here ~ first is the small space they are cooped up in ~ always provide at least 21/2 square feet of floor space per bird minimum; get them on a great feed-I saw a huge improvement in my hens' eggs and feathers and disposition when I switched from Layena to Nutrena's Egg Producer mixed with their Hearty Hen. Are they in the molt? Do they have lots of fresh water? Weather? Is the coop too cold? Mostly I would advise you to build on to your coop - I did - I built a nursery room which, when not in use for raising chicks, gives my hens an extra 6'6 feet plus roosting shelves. I raise heavy breed chickens, so I don't have a pole roost, instead I have 12" wide shelves covered with fresh straw every day, and they love that. I put a 'half round' 2" wide trim on the edge, so if they want to grab onto that all night they can. Try changing their feed, letting them OUTSIDE all day long, and bigger space. Or re-home some of them to get the number down to 6-8 birds for your coop size. They are showing signs of stress-related aggression, and you really need to get them into a better environment. Good Luck!

Thank you for reminding peeps that these are not the OP's birds but rather OP's fathers birds.

It is important for peeps to read the whole thread, offer helpful things and not judge so harshly when people ask for help.

:hugs You're doing great! We all get misguided (I could tell you some of my stories!) and you're doing all you can to fix the problem, which is more than a lot of other people would do.

To a much lesser degree, I know what it feels like when you have dozens of people coming to your thread and telling you over and over that you're doing things horrendously wrong, and how overwhelming that can be. But you're handling it perfectly. (no disrespect to you guys, I understand that for the most part you are just trying to help and sometimes the truth is hard)

And, this is just my opinion, but don't post any information that OP already knows. If you're coming here just to tell him that his coop is way too small and have no additional information or suggestions I would think twice. He already knows that, at least a dozen people have said it by now. Giving him the same information over and over provides no help and in my experience it feels constricting. Let's not kick a dead horse.

Exactly!! And the OP is now working to correct the problem so, like you said, no need to beat a dead horse. Plus there is a difference between being honest and providing helpful information, or even constructive criticism, and just being harsh or judgemental.

Well said all of you.

I think some people just maybe read the first page and post based on that, which is somewhat understandable given how long the thread is getting, but if they would only read a bit more, they would see that the OP clearly cares and is working to change the situation. Which I think is awesome because so many people would just get defensive and say they’re fine. At least they are working to change it. The situation is definitely terrible but now they know and are trying to fix it so no need to keep bringing that up and/or judging. Especially when they are not even their chickens.

It would still be horrendously small, even if meters. If you can't provide your hens with adequate and healthy space, then you need to give some away - fast - or eat some. Like all animals, chickens have lots of emotions, they feel pain and anxiety. They are so much more than egg producers. I too am sorry to sound harsh, but I just don't understand how you could think this situation is okay.

A new run and coop sound like great ideas. This site has tons of information about design, location, predator proofing, materials - you name it.

They clearly don’t think it’s okay since they are here asking for help and have said repeatedly that they are going to build them a bigger coop and run and also that they are not their chickens. They are their father’s and they do not live their so they really do not even have to do anything for these birds but they are because they care and want to help them.

Back
Top Bottom