Bored Chickens pecking each other!

Dec 14, 2021
Alaska
Most of my chickens have feathers missing on their necks. The ones who don't are near the bottom of the pecking order. It is very windy and cold, because we live in AK, and they choose not to free range anymore.We try to keep them entertained with treats two or three times a day and lettuce every other day. We get organic treats with only meal worms and other items we have researched that are healthful to our chickens. Will their feathers grow back? Any ideas of how to prevent this?

Most of my chickens have feathers missing on their necks. The ones who don't are near the bottom of the pecking order. It is very windy and cold, because we live in AK, and they choose not to free range anymore.We try to keep them entertained with treats two or three times a day and lettuce every other day. We get organic treats with only meal worms and other items we have researched that are healthful to our chickens. Will their feathers grow back? Any ideas of how to prevent this?
Are you sure they aren’t just molting?

Can you snap some photos? Could be a molt, the main thing to look for in that case would be pin feathers growing in in the bare sports.

How big is the coop and how many birds? The issue when chickens choose to/must be confined due to weather is lack of space and boredom, which is why it's recommended that coops in very cold weather environments run bigger than coops in moderate climates, like 6 to 8 sq ft per bird. This not only gives them more room to move around in, but also allows you to set up some boredom busters inside like perches, obstacles, multiple feeders, dust baths, piles of straw/leaves to dig through.

The issue with relying on treats to cure their boredom is it throws off their nutritional intake (i.e. a lack of protein can lead to feather picking), plus they simply can't just stand around eating all day.

Can you snap some photos? Could be a molt, the main thing to look for in that case would be pin feathers growing in in the bare sports.

How big is the coop and how many birds? The issue when chickens choose to/must be confined due to weather is lack of space and boredom, which is why it's recommended that coops in very cold weather environments run bigger than coops in moderate climates, like 6 to 8 sq ft per bird. This not only gives them more room to move around in, but also allows you to set up some boredom busters inside like perches, obstacles, multiple feeders, dust baths, piles of straw/leaves to dig through.

The issue with relying on treats to cure their boredom is it throws off their nutritional intake (i.e. a lack of protein can lead to feather picking), plus they simply can't just stand around eating all day.
The coop is about 80 sq. feet. I do not think the amount of space is the problem. We have 11 chickens. Any ways of keeping them entertained without treats?

Back
Top Bottom