Bored Ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SunAngel, Aug 6, 2008.

1. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I am wondering what others might have in their duck runs to keep their ducks occupied?

Maybe a silly question, but I just recently split a section of my chicken run off to keep the ducks separate and I am worried they are bored.

They have a little duck pond to play in, but the rest of the run is just sand/dirt. They have a duck house to run into if they want, but compared to the chickens run, theirs is empty.

Any ideas what I could add to make things more intersting in there for them. I can only provide so many treats before I have 50lb ducks lol. Or is that pretty much all ducks do, eat, swim and sleep?

2. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    I collect tall grass, weeds and thin branches with leaves each morning for them to play with. Between that, swimming, running around and resting, they are fine.

3. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    I did put some grass in the pen this morning before letting them out, but that didnt last too long, they are piggies lol.

4. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    When I mow the lawn I make a pile of grass clippings and they go through it and spread it all over. You might try that. I have free range ducks during the day and they spend the whole day foraging so giving them things to forage under like piles of grass, weeds, and leaves can be entertainment. I also will toss in some superworms or meal worms for them in the piles and they will usually sift through and find and eat them.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I want to plant some tall grasses etc for mine to play with, just use the post hole digger and plop it in container and all to see how long a big one might last. i made the mistake with my pheasants and planted small ones - they ate it all....[​IMG] Also WAL carried a dog ball that you can put treats in and as it rolls around it despensis the treats, wondering if that would work on ducks....my piggies love it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    They really don't need to be ocupied 24/7. Mine free-range with the chickens and that seems to keep them busy enough - I often see them sleeping under the apple trees, trying to jump to get apple tree leaves, or just following people or chickens around.

7. nannychachi

nannychachi Just Hatched

Jul 1, 2016
    WV
    My 4 Anconas are let out of their pen everyday for a good while to come sit in the shade with us. They run through the yard, play in their waterer, make a mud mess around it, pick at whatever is on the ground and then nap. It was hot today so I had a spray bottle with water that I sprayed over them to keep them cool since they were away from their pool. I also hung a dog toy made up of three small interlocking hard rubber rings in their pen, but I haven't seen anyone playing with it yet.

8. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I give mine time-consuming treats. For example, watermelon rinds or whole cabbage leaves. It keeps them occupied but doesn't really give them a ton of food, but they love picking at it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    I drop a head of red or greenleaf lettuce in their pool. They LOVE tearing it apart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by