Borotto Real 24 Automatica + Sirio

Jun 21, 2017
Hey everyone!

I just unboxed today my brand new real 24 Borotto incubator. If you are interested in buying one or curious to know how they do, follow along on the progress of my first hatch. I have purchased Sirio as well which is the humidity control pump that Borotto offers. So far I have brought the incubator up to temp (it took no time at all!) And cleaned/sanitized the unit as per the instructions.

The first hatch I will be doing I will be following the manual to the letter. The unit comes preprogrammed to incubate at its own temp which I will post when I get back home after work .The manual is also offered for download online if you'd like to read it.

The eggs I'll be using are from my own flock, Sultan rooster over Easter egger hens (a few other breed hens in my flock as well). Variety of shell colours are going to be used and I will keep track of which hatches when. The incubator holds 24 chicken+larger eggs and even more quails eggs.

Attachments

• IMG_20190316_091752.jpg
    IMG_20190316_091752.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 73
The incubator incubates chicken eggs automatically at the suggested temperature of 37.7 C. At the last 3 days of hatching you are to reduce the temperature to 37.2 C and to of course stop turning the eggs. Now without Sirio the instructions are to fill 1 water tray up until day 18 where you fill both trays as well as pour 2 or 3 glasses of water into the 3rd secret reservoir in the middle floor of the incubator. The manual does not give humidity percentages or anything so I'm going to have to figure that out. Sirio allows you to pick the humidity level you want and it will pump water into the incubator until it's at that mark.

The Sirio manual states 45% humidity while incubating and 60% humidity for hatching. For the first run I'm planning on following the Borotto instructions to the letter so that's what I will setting to

So this is day 3 (not including Sunday which is the day I set the eggs in the afternoon) and I can't even imagine going back to a lesser incubator. I haven't had to touch the thing at all. Every time I check it the temp is spot on, humidity is perfect. I set up Sirio (the humidity meter) with a 4 ish litre bottle of distilled water.
Just have to wait until day 7 to start candling eggs!

Day 7 candles the eggs and got a few for sures, and lots I can't see through because of thick shell/green colour. Candling again Sunday for day 14

Do you live in Europe or did you pay the massive price to have that thing sent over to the US? I just saw The Chicken Whisperer did a post on his about how much he liked it and that they're working on getting a distributor over here, but that currently it's $$$$ to import one.

I live in Canada and it was not at all expensive. I wasn't even charged tax. I paid for shipping but otherwise, just the conversion from cad to Eur. I paid about 515 Canadian dollars.

Did my last candling on Sunday, out of 24 eggs set only 9 were fertile and every single one is developing nicely! My rooster is half the size of most of my hens so I'm not surprised he isn't breeding them all. Thursday is lock down! Will keep posting

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom