Borrowing A Rooster?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nimby Chickens, May 29, 2011.

1. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    So, has anyone who cannot have a rooster ever 'borrowed' one from a friend to make their hens fertile?

If so:

Will the hens submit to him right away, or will he have to dominate them?
    How long do you need to borrow the rooster for?
    How long do the hens remain fertile?

I'd like to make some babies over here but can not have a roo. [​IMG] As much as I would LOVE a nice fancy faverolle roo. <3 I would love to borrow a nice boy (from a good trusted friend who practices good biosecurity like me!) and let him love on the ladies while all my neighbors are at work.

Input?

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    You could "ahem," artificially inseminate your hens with his sperm. Idk if this cuts down on potential disease transmittance, but I'd think so. Less stress to re-figure out the pecking order, but more effort on your part.

EDIT: Found a YouTube video! She says "um" a lot in the beginning.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  3. Nimby Chickens

Nimby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2010
    Central FL
    I had no idea you could do that! It does sound kind of expensive though... hmm. Off to watch the video.

4. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    You would probably want to borrow him minimally for a few days, but probably more like a month. It will depend on your hens and the rooster as far as how soon they will start mating, there will probably be at least a little fighting at first when you introduce him. After mating, a hen will be fertile for up to 30 days or so.

5. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Hi,
    I have borrowed a rooster once to try this. He was one I raised so the hens remembered him, and the fertilization worked fine.

If you don't know the rooster, he may coax the hen into submitting to him, or he may just dominate her, depending on his personality, or if your hen is more dominant and the roo timid, she may reject him, fight him, and leave him frustrated and alone. I take it they will be the same breed?

If you aren't worried about disease transmission, as in you know the person you're borrowing from , and their housing conditions, and they've had their flock vaccinated, NPIP tested, etc., I think you should go for it borrowing the roo. Make sure you give the happy couple both time & space & treats as well.

6. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    how far away are you from Sarasota Fl?
    I have Great roos!!!!!!!!

7. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

Ms.Frizzle :

You could "ahem," artificially inseminate your hens with his sperm. Idk if this cuts down on potential disease transmittance, but I'd think so. Less stress to re-figure out the pecking order, but more effort on your part.

EDIT: Found a YouTube video! She says "um" a lot in the beginning.

The video is a hoot. To bad you can't order sperm for whatever breed you want. It sure beats putting up with the post office messing up shipped eggs.​

8. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    I have a friend's hen over for a "visit" this week with my roo. They hit it off right away, if you know what I mean... [​IMG]

9. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by