Borrowing A Rooster?

Nimby Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2010
Central FL
So, has anyone who cannot have a rooster ever 'borrowed' one from a friend to make their hens fertile?

If so:

Will the hens submit to him right away, or will he have to dominate them?
How long do you need to borrow the rooster for?
How long do the hens remain fertile?

I'd like to make some babies over here but can not have a roo.
sad.png
As much as I would LOVE a nice fancy faverolle roo. <3 I would love to borrow a nice boy (from a good trusted friend who practices good biosecurity like me!) and let him love on the ladies while all my neighbors are at work.

Input?

You could "ahem," artificially inseminate your hens with his sperm. Idk if this cuts down on potential disease transmittance, but I'd think so. Less stress to re-figure out the pecking order, but more effort on your part.

EDIT: Found a YouTube video! She says "um" a lot in the beginning.

Last edited:
You would probably want to borrow him minimally for a few days, but probably more like a month. It will depend on your hens and the rooster as far as how soon they will start mating, there will probably be at least a little fighting at first when you introduce him. After mating, a hen will be fertile for up to 30 days or so.

Hi,
I have borrowed a rooster once to try this. He was one I raised so the hens remembered him, and the fertilization worked fine.

If you don't know the rooster, he may coax the hen into submitting to him, or he may just dominate her, depending on his personality, or if your hen is more dominant and the roo timid, she may reject him, fight him, and leave him frustrated and alone. I take it they will be the same breed?

If you aren't worried about disease transmission, as in you know the person you're borrowing from , and their housing conditions, and they've had their flock vaccinated, NPIP tested, etc., I think you should go for it borrowing the roo. Make sure you give the happy couple both time & space & treats as well.

Ms.Frizzle :

You could "ahem," artificially inseminate your hens with his sperm. Idk if this cuts down on potential disease transmittance, but I'd think so. Less stress to re-figure out the pecking order, but more effort on your part.

EDIT: Found a YouTube video! She says "um" a lot in the beginning.

The video is a hoot. To bad you can't order sperm for whatever breed you want. It sure beats putting up with the post office messing up shipped eggs.​

Back
Top Bottom