Breeding rooster to my hens

gimmie birdies

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Feb 12, 2013
Eastern WA
Hello! The goal is getting fertile eggs. Here is how I am starting from the beginning before the egg are fertile. These are not all the hens I own, but some I need to breed. My rooster was too young. I borrowed an isbar rooster from friend.
20240305_105647.jpg
I put him in with my hens.
20240305_155857.jpg
i see him tid bitting, and long staring. The hens have groomed him. I have not seen mating
20240305_155914.jpg
I want his blue look. I will post as I get fertile eggs.

They are trying to look feminine. see the bow in their necks? you could almost picture them fluttering their eyes. The dark blue hen always looks big, but not to that rooster.

I wanted to keep him in a closed off area with my hens, select who he breeds with. The wind came and blew open the door. The rooster and all the hens got out, and now he is in the big coop, big as you please roosting with all the hens. I put my young rooster in a separate area. I have about 20 hens, and he normally has about 3 hens.

I wanted to keep him in a closed off area with my hens, select who he breeds with. The wind came and blew open the door. The rooster and all the hens got out, and now he is in the big coop, big as you please roosting with all the hens. I put my young rooster in a separate area. I have about 20 hens, and he normally has about 3 hens.
I’m sure you didn’t think it was funny, but I could just picture it 😂

I will set eggs to hatch on Easter. Here's what I have so far.
20240308_125745.jpg

The eggs in the bottom rows are mine. More to come tomorrow. The eggs on top 2 rows are from a near by farm. I will only set the top eggs if I have room. But yes probably the 2 dark ones. (BCM)

The one small gray one middle lower right is a frizzle egg.

The second to the bottom row, left side are 2 round blue eggs from Isbar, and the roo is isbar.

The lower left that is dark brown is welsummer egg, it should hatch an olive egger.

The bottom blue eggs are EE. But one has frizzle genes.

The last 3 in the 3 row down, tan ones. The small one is a BO. The large eggs are australorps.

Last edited:
The rooster did not cover the hens i hoped he would. Most of the eggs i set from the hens i was hopeful about were clears. At one point the door blew open, he got in with the general population, and an ee was fertilized and I got this chick and a couple others hatching, some tomorrow. They are not list for the easter hatch though.
20240331_071754.jpg

Back
Top Bottom