dublinducks

Chirping
Apr 15, 2023
Recently we unexpectedly lost our favorite silkie rooster. He was absolutely perfect in type and my favorite color, splash. We affectionately called him Splish the splash silkie. When we lost Splish, we lost the ability to breed him. Our hens and roosters are kept separately from one another. However, we recently returned from vacation and our neighbors who watched our birds for us confused him for a female (apparently because of how fluffy and docile he was, what a good boy) and put him in our female pen overnight. We removed him the next morning, and the day after that we lost him. This was about a week ago.

I am devastated at the thought of not being able to have some of his direct offspring.
My question is: is there any way to know that he may have mated with some of the females? Is one mating enough for fertility? If there is any chance they could have some of his chicks, I will do whatever I can to help those eggs develop.

If there is even a chance, I can either let the silkie hens sit on them themselves or I can incubate. Whatever it takes, we are a little desperate.

Thank you in advance, RIP to our baby boy.

how long has it been since he died?
Hens can keep the sperm of a male 3-4 weeks after not being with a male. So if he’s been gone less than a month, then yes there is a possibility for fertilized eggs

Back
Top Bottom