BOSS..how much how often? and benefits?

chickie<3

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 6, 2010
Long Island, NY
I read on here how much their chickens love BOSS..so i bought some today and the girls looked at it like but didnt go for it..i threw some on the grass.. i saw them picking at the grass later on..assuming they were eating the BOSS..how much and how often should I throw it out there and what are the benefits of BOSS?

sharol

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 13, 2010
Admire, KS
I gave a little to my 10 week olds and they weren't interested. Then a week or so later, it was raining and they were "cooped up" so I tossed a handfull on the floor (wood shavings) of their coop. They dived into them like they were starving, so apparently there is a learning curve.

Someone here said to wait until they were 16-18 weeks old to give them BOSS on any sort of regular basis. I'm saving them for rainy days.

chickie<3 :

I read on here how much their chickens love BOSS..so i bought some today and the girls looked at it like but didnt go for it..i threw some on the grass.. i saw them picking at the grass later on..assuming they were eating the BOSS..how much and how often should I throw it out there and what are the benefits of BOSS?​

Pet Duck Boy

Songster
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Orlando, FL
I give 2-3 generous handfuls a day for my 5 girls. Always one in the morning, to give them something to do while they continue their nosiy egg-laying, and one in the evening. Sometimes another handful in the afternoon. It's a good energy source, like corn, but unlike corn it has much more protein and does not disrupt egg-laying as much. The high oil content is also great for keeping feathers shiny, feather growth, and water-proofing.

dedicateddourly

Songster
11 Years
Jun 20, 2008
Fallbrook, CA
My 19-week old girls only eat it if I shell it for them
sad.png

Spoiled girls.

MarieNC

Songster
9 Years
May 10, 2010
I give my 6 girls about a cup a day, scattered around to keep them busy. Sometimes I will rake it under the sand so they can scratch around looking for it. However, their all time favorite treat is millet seed.

pharmchickrnmom

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
I use it to make my girls do the work in the tractor. After I rake all the litter into a big pile in the middle of the tractor, I throw in a few handfuls of boss and they run in and start scratching for it! When I come back to check on them, they have the litter all spread out and turned over nicely! It is a daily ritual that benefits both of us and their feathers look beautiful and the eggs are superb. I am careful to make it only a treat at that time so they will eat their regular laying pellets. Like any diet, too much of anything is not good for anybody, including chickens!

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom