BOSS or Scratch?

sotelomary

Songster
10 Years
Mar 30, 2009
SF east bay, California
I have limited storage space and would like to limit my treats to my chickens to just BOSS or scratch. Which one would you pick and why?

Thanks
Mary

Forgot to mention that our winters are very mild, so I don't need to help keep them warm with scratch.

Last edited:
Probably scratch cause it has a more diverse make up.
I would consider purchasing a small bag of BOSS and adding it to my scratch then it wouldnt take up any additional space
smile.png

BOSS--there is more usable protein and less fat than scratch. I only use scratch when it is cold to give the birds a little extra energy and fat to keep them warm.

If you are getting your feed from a feed mill most will sell Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and Scratch by the pound and you could mix say 25 pounds each to make a 50 lb batch.

As for Scratch Grain having more fat, I have never seen a Scratch much over 3% fat and BOSS is right around in the 30's.
Typical Scratch Grain is Crude Protein (min.) 8.50%, Crude Fat (min.) 2.00%, (off TSC site)
Boss is around 16% Crude Protein and 32% Crude Fat (out of POULTRY FOODS AND FEEDING)

Chris

May I ask a dumb question? What is Boss. I have never heard of it or maybe it is called something else here. Thanks. Never mind I found out it is Black Oil Sunflower Seeds DUHHH!

Last edited:
Quote:
There is good fat and bad fat. All I know if I want to fatten up my meat birds I put them on a hight corn diet. The fatty oil in BOSS doesn't seem to do that.

woodmort,

Yes I know there is more than 1 type of fat and that there is good fat and bad fat..
There are four type of fat (monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, saturated, and trans fats)

Monounsaturated single double-bond between two carbon atoms. Because these two carbon atoms could each hold one more hydrogen atom if the double-bond were broken, it is unsaturated, and because it is only unsaturated at a single point, it is mono-unsaturated.

Polyunsturated has at least two double-bonds between carbon atoms and potentially more. (as in omega-3s and omega-6s)

Saturated fats refer to fats in which all carbon atoms are bonded to hydrogen atoms

Trans fats Trans fats are the only of the four types of fat that are man-made. (These fats can only be produced when nickel is added and hydrogen is forced through an oil at high pressure.)

Fats are a concentrated form of energy which help maintain body temperature, and protect body tissues and organs. Fat also plays an essential role in carrying the four fat-soluble vitamins: A, D, E, and K. Fat calories in food are readily stored, while it takes energy to transform protein and carbohydrates to body fat.

corn oil - Saturated - 1.7 -- Mono unsaturated - 3.4 -- Poly unsaturated - 7.9
sunflower oil - aturated - 1.4 -- Mono unsaturated -- 2.8 -- Poly unsaturated - 8.7

The other thing you have to keep in mind is the amount of Carbohydrates in scratch (corn) and BOSS. I believe that there is more Carbohydrates in scratch/ (corn) than in Boss and that alone would account for the add fat a bird puts on.

There are two types of Carbohydrates, Simple carbohydrates and Complex carbohydrates.

Simple carbohydrates: These are also called simple sugars. Simple sugars are found in refined sugars, like the white sugar you'd find in a sugar bowl. But you'll also find simple sugars in more nutritious foods, such as fruit and milk. It's better to get your simple sugars from food like fruit and milk.

Complex carbohydrates: These are also called starches. Starches include grain products, such as bread, crackers, pasta, and rice. As with simple sugars, some complex carbohydrate foods are better choices than others. Refined grains, such as white flour and white rice, have been processed, which removes nutrients and fiber. But unrefined grains still contain these vitamins and minerals. Unrefined grains also are rich in fiber, which helps your digestive system work well. Fiber helps you feel full, so you are less likely to overeat these foods. That explains why a bowl of oatmeal fills you up better than sugary candy that has the same amount of calories as the oatmeal.

When you eat carbs, the body breaks them down into simple sugars, which are absorbed into the bloodstream. Insulin is needed to move sugar from the blood into the cells, where the sugar can be used as a source of energy any extra sugars that is not used as a source of energy is then stored as fat.

Now in your in your post
Quote:
You just stated that there is less fat in BOSS than in Scratch you didn't say anything about "type of fat"..

Chris

Last edited:
I don't really think it has to do with fats, but I think the corn is high is sugar.

I would ask for half boss and half cracked corn. Or can you fit a 25 lb bag of both?? I give corn in the evening hoping it keeps them warm.

Back
Top Bottom