Both eyes closed. Whitish liquid fluid pouring from one eye....

My birds recently had this and as a novice chicken keeper it was extremely frightening, especially because one got lost with it's eyes swollen completely closed. Took the two girls to the vet and he said it was an avian respiratory infection and shot them up with antibiotics and sent me home with a packet of powder to mix with their water. Blackie the Silkie still gets a bit weepy now and then in this wet and cold weather and has to be dosed once in awhile. But yeah, the vet opened the eyes that had been swollen shut and just..ugh, pus and ew. Poor babies :/
This year seems to be pretty bad for humans and animals alike with the pollens and allergies. I've been putting Lavender oil drops on and near their roosts and it seems to have helped some. Mine were also starting to show crud around their eyes as if the eye were weeping. I think I may have gotten lucky because they aren't showing those symptoms since the oil was added.

I'm glad to hear yours are better!

Actually it took out my partridge Silkie, Patches. Really if I'd been around birds more I would have recognized the signs. Patches seemed to be a bit dazed and wasn't keeping up with everyone but I assumed it was just because her feathers were starting to cover her eyes. Blackie still gets snifflys and the vet said she would always be weaker since it wrecked her body so badly. Blackie is super super small and you can see in this picture her sinus is just starting to puff up.

I do spray the coops with lavender and tea tree oil but -shrug- what can ya do. Pretty sure it's because the stupid silkies ignore their roost and try to sleep in the rain -sigh- They're not the most clever creatures :/

Back
Top Bottom