Both my roosters missing...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by lisa new chickens, Jul 8, 2010.

1. lisa new chickens

lisa new chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    [​IMG]..I let my 2 couchin Bantams and 2 seabrights out yesterday morning at 7am, as usual, to free range my yard. Each set had a rooster. Both roosters were missing at 9am...I searched all day on 5 acres with woods, no sign of them. My 2 hens are distraught and miss their roos. I feel so guilty, everyone told me this was going to happen eventually. So, I bought 3 silkies today, 2 roos and one hen. These guys are a month older, 6 months, than my other babies. I put them in a seperate coop for now. I will keep my 2 other babies loccked up all day and will let them out (WITH SUPERVISION) IN THE EVENING. I had plans to breed both sets..[​IMG]..Now, what are the baby chicks going to look like bred with silkies?

2. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Were there any feathers on the ground? Any blood?

It seems weird that the only 2 birds that were taken, were roos. Makes me wonder about 2 legged predators. Did you have anyone in the neighborhood complaining about crowing or anything??

I am so sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

As for the silkie crosses...not a clue [​IMG]

3. lisa new chickens

Apr 10, 2010
    I was thinking the same thing, but everyone around me has chickens. I think the roos were protecting the hens. right after I posted, I went out and found my 8 year old cat dead in the bushes...

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Sorry for your loss! I have become a chicken herder since my runs are just plastic fencing and netting.Hawks circle us.It is kind of hard since it is so hot every day to be out 5-6 hours at a time,but for the hens I will do it.I am dreaming of a secure run though,but dh won't spend the money on one.

Something strange going on at your home.Sorry about the kitty too.Neighbor issues? Bored summer kids up to no good?

5. lisa new chickens

Apr 10, 2010
    I am not sure what is going on. As for my cat, he has been attacked by opossoms before. I think that is what got him. My chickens are penned up now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by