Both Sex Links?

Gone-Ducky

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
Arizona
So I went to my local feed store a week a go and got a few gold sex-link chicks they are about 2-3 weeks old feathers are coming in and 2 seem different... they are very dark still have the white under tones but the gold is coming in a dark red? They are the younger ones of the bunch could they be a red sex link? Or just a Dark gold sex link? OR a roo?! Help?!

(a comparison on what I see the dark one is on the left the gold one on the right)

Sex links can have a wide range of colors depending on the parent breeds. The darker one could be a red bird, but doesn't look quite right for that. Probably both sex links. Roosters would be silver based, those birds are both red/gold based.

Sex links can have a wide range of colors depending on the parent breeds. The darker one could be a red bird, but doesn't look quite right for that. Probably both sex links. Roosters would be silver based, those birds are both red/gold based.

Thanks for the help, I'm not sure what to look for im new to owning chicks/chickens.

So I went to my local feed store a week a go and got a few gold sex-link chicks they are about 2-3 weeks old feathers are coming in and 2 seem different... they are very dark still have the white under tones but the gold is coming in a dark red? They are the younger ones of the bunch could they be a red sex link? Or just a Dark gold sex link? OR a roo?! Help?!

(a comparison on what I see the dark one is on the left the gold one on the right)

what makes the so dark is Mahogany, which is a gene from the original RIR used in the cross, bot are sex links

male on the left female on the right. the male will get a redpyle coloration. you can already see it coming into his shoulders and wings

Back
Top Bottom