1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bottle feeding a goat?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by animalcrazy31, Sep 4, 2009.

1. animalcrazy31

animalcrazy31 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    I'm getting a little bottle feed baby in the morning and i was wondering is there anything you can get or make to feed them besides the powder goat formala? I've heard some don't do good on it. And i dont no of any moms around me to get milk from

2. CaGoatLady

CaGoatLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Auburn, CA
    Some people only use the replacement and some people will tell you not to ever use it. I've used both and had perfect success with making my own formula.
    3 cups warm water
    1 cup powdered milk
    ΒΌ cup heavy whipping cream
    3 tablespoons yogurt (regular, not not fat)
    4 cups whole milk

Using this formula, I've never had scours in my goats and they grew out beautifully.

3. animalcrazy31

animalcrazy31 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2009
    VA
    thanks so much how much milk does a little boar mix useally take so i can make sure she gets anough

4. CaGoatLady

CaGoatLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Auburn, CA
    Oh good, it's a Boer, that's what I have and they do very well on this. First, I make sure my babies have had their CD&T shots to prevent overeating. Then, I feed them about 10-12 ozs. every couple of hours. It's better to give less more often than too much all at one time.

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    When I had my dairy, my kids got fed twice a day, usually a 20 oz coke bottle, and they had access to alfalfa hay and grain. They got pasteurized goat milk or cow milk. Cow milk from the store works great. Some kids do fine on replacer and some blow up and die on it and there is no way to tell in advance which is which. I never found any difference between the expensive replacers made just for kids and premium calf milk replacers either. For the price of many of the kid replacers it is just as cheap to feed milk from the store. Since the milk from mini goats and Boer goats is higher in fat than the milk from most dairy goats, the following formula works very well for them. Take a gallon jug of whole cow milk from the store. Pour off about a quart into another container. Add a cup of buttermilk and a can of evaporated milk to the jug and shake to mix. Fill the jug back up with some of the milk you poured off. Shake again and it's ready to feed.

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I have 5 nigis that I bottle fed straight whole cows milk from the grocery store. Thats what the breeder recommended and they all did great.

7. mekasmom

mekasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    Quote:The best choice is goat's milk, of course, but if not available then just get gallons of whole (cow) milk from the grocery store. You baby can drink the same milk you put on your cereal. I have used whole milk many times for baby goats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by