Bottom of the pecking order

fmorlando1

Chirping
Jun 29, 2021
This is my second year with chickens. In the spring I had a Buff Orpington hen that hatched out a brood, 5 hens that I have kept. I also wanted to diversify my flock so I got 3 Bielifelders and 3 True Blues. They are two weeks younger than the Oprpingotn chicks. Unfortunately I lost one of the Bielifelders and 2 True Blues to a predator before they moved into the main coop that has a predator proof coop and run. It has been almost 2 months now with everyone living together. I understand that as the youngest the Bielifelders and True Blue are at the bottom of the pecking order however they spend almost all their time in the coop when the other chickens are out in the run or free ranging. I see the other chickens, mostly the Orpingtons that are 2 weeks older chase them but I haven't seen pecking, at least not to the point where I see any of the youngest hens with missing feathers or with visible peck marks. I have a small feeder and water in the coop so they always have access to those but I feel bad that they aren't getting out and about. Is this normal or should they be at least more integrated with the flock by now.

Are there things in the run where they could have some safety and shelter from the rest of the flock? It might help them feel more confident. Something simple like an overturned chair or a piece of plyboard propped up to cut off the line of sight work great. Doesn't have to be anything fancy.

This sounds like my experience with chicks 2 weeks apart. I have a single Buckeye who had to be integrated and it took quite a while, and still being at the bottom of the pecking order she's like that, elusive to the others much of the time.

So during the day she used to hang out only in the garage while the rest were ranging. In time with some encouragement she's become a ranger too, but almost too independent for my liking.

Are there things in the run where they could have some safety and shelter from the rest of the flock? It might help them feel more confident. Something simple like an overturned chair or a piece of plyboard propped up to cut off the line of sight work great. Doesn't have to be anything fancy.
Thanks for the ideas, I’ll give it a try. I see your Point about simple things that will keep them out of sight. When I first put them together they were small enough that I had a couple places where they could get under that the other chickens couldn’t. But now they’re as big as everyone else so that doesn’t work anymore. I also had a ladder and some branches suspended as roosting bars in the run that they like to hang out on, but then they wound up sleeping on those and not going into the coop to roost at night. I took all of that stuff out because as it’s starting to get colder I didn’t want them to keep sleeping outside. I’m pretty sure if I put any kind of thing they would roost on back in now they would sleep on it, Even though there’s plenty of roosting space in the coop.

This sounds like my experience with chicks 2 weeks apart. I have a single Buckeye who had to be integrated and it took quite a while, and still being at the bottom of the pecking order she's like that, elusive to the others much of the time.

So during the day she used to hang out only in the garage while the rest were ranging. In time with some encouragement she's become a ranger too, but almost too independent for my liking.
The chickens have a pretty good size free range area, and when the coast is clear the trio will occasionally venture out and they always stick together. So it’s nice at least they have each other.

Back
Top Bottom