Bottoms of feet turning pinkish or red?

skiffdank

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 4, 2012
Hello everyone,

We had a hot day yesterday, my birds had water and some frozen blueberries to help them stay hydrated so I'm not sure if this could be heat related or not. Last evening, my Barred Rock rooster had pinkish feet bottoms. Not the whole pad of his feet, but the rear most area. I did just change their bedding the prior day but I used the same bag of pine shavings I'd been using for months now, nothing new. He wasn't walking any different, seemed to run and fly around carefree and didn't reveal any outward expressions of pain or discomfort. I'm still a little worried though. I'm not sure what pink/red feet indicate. Basic searches warned of something about mites? I can try to bathe them this evening and lather his legs with vaseline. I have two birds, both friendly roosters, one Barred Rock, one Light Brahama. The Light Brahama did not have pink or reddish feet, should I also bathe and vaseline him as a preventative measure? Has anyone experienced their birds feet turning pink? Does your Barred Rock have pink feet or yellow? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Can you post some photos so we can see what you see?
How old is he?

If you suspect Scaly leg mites, treatment won't hurt. Soak his feet and legs in some warm soapy water, gently scrub with a soft brush, dry, apply some coconut oil, vaseline or a+d ointment. Oils will help smother the mites. Repeat daily for 7days, then every few days until it clears up.

Thank you for the reply. I'll do my best to get some photos this evening if he will cooperate. He was adopted in Early April, not exactly sure how many weeks he was but young, he just began crowing last month. I don't know what to suspect, nothing has really changed in their habitat with the exception of the heat reaching into the 90's a few times this week. I'll grab some baby shampoo and a soft brush and some supplies on my way home and will begin with a bath followed by some oil or jelly on his leg tonight, or tomorrow if it rains this evening.

Thank you very much for your reply, it is appreciated.

Hello again,

Here are some photos from last night, I got them in their small run before dark and here's the best I could do..

Thank you!

Thank you for the reply. I'll do my best to get some photos this evening if he will cooperate. He was adopted in Early April, not exactly sure how many weeks he was but young, he just began crowing last month. I don't know what to suspect, nothing has really changed in their habitat with the exception of the heat reaching into the 90's a few times this week. I'll grab some baby shampoo and a soft brush and some supplies on my way home and will begin with a bath followed by some oil or jelly on his leg tonight, or tomorrow if it rains this evening.

Thank you very much for your reply, it is appreciated.

If you are talking about is the red streaks on his legs, that would be hormones. As he becomes sexually mature, the streaks will most likely turn redder and fluctuate in color a bit through out the day, just like hormones will.

My rooster has really red legs in the morning (he has white legs so it shows up well), then after he mates several the legs get paler - by evening a couple of hours before roosting time, his legs are back red again because he will mate some more.

The bath and apply oil certainly won't hurt the legs, I find that my roosters legs stay a bit more dry/chapped than the girls, so occasionally I apply oil to mine as well.

Hello everyone,

We had a hot day yesterday, my birds had water and some frozen blueberries to help them stay hydrated so I'm not sure if this could be heat related or not. Last evening, my Barred Rock rooster had pinkish feet bottoms. Not the whole pad of his feet, but the rear most area. I did just change their bedding the prior day but I used the same bag of pine shavings I'd been using for months now, nothing new. He wasn't walking any different, seemed to run and fly around carefree and didn't reveal any outward expressions of pain or discomfort. I'm still a little worried though. I'm not sure what pink/red feet indicate. Basic searches warned of something about mites? I can try to bathe them this evening and lather his legs with vaseline. I have two birds, both friendly roosters, one Barred Rock, one Light Brahama. The Light Brahama did not have pink or reddish feet, should I also bathe and vaseline him as a preventative measure? Has anyone experienced their birds feet turning pink? Does your Barred Rock have pink feet or yellow? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I have 6 barred rock hens all of which have light pink soles on their feet. Normal :)

I was wondering the same thing, as my big Barred rock roosters feet were turning red also, and he is just just now 8 months old. He is horribly mean, but a very good protector of the girls.

Back
Top Bottom