Botulism

OSCluckeyes

In the Brooder
Jun 10, 2021
Hi there! I have a rooster (about a year old) and he has all the symptoms of botulism. Neck paralysis, weak legs, falling when walking, etc... Here’s the kicker, it’s been 2 weeks since symptoms set in, and he’s still alive! We had read that birds that live past 48hours of onset of symptoms usually recover... however he’s only getting worse. So I’m wondering if he’ll ever get better? Will the paralysis wear off eventually? Or will he eventually suffocate? Should we put him out of his misery? He doesn’t even go out of the coop with his hens anymore. I’m afraid they might start attacking him? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Botulism needs to be treated with antibiotics, as long as the bacteria is alive it’s producing the toxins that cause the neurological symptoms, there’s an antidote specifically for the toxins but it depends on the vet wether they carry it or not.

Honestly your bird could have botulism, but there’s a number of other possible causes too, poisoning, other bacterial infections that cause encephalitis, viruses, so it may be good to get it looked at by a vet in case it’s something contagious he could give to the others.

Botulism needs to be treated with antibiotics, as long as the bacteria is alive it’s producing the toxins that cause the neurological symptoms, there’s an antidote specifically for the toxins but it depends on the vet wether they carry it or not.

Honestly your bird could have botulism, but there’s a number of other possible causes too, poisoning, other bacterial infections that cause encephalitis, viruses, so it may be good to get it looked at by a vet in case it’s something contagious he could give to the others.
Yeah we have looked through other things and botulism is really the only thing that he checks all the boxes. Plus it’s been 2 weeks and we’ve monitored the hens and they haven’t gotten sick. Plus, we did catch them at the compost pile, so we are pretty sure he got it from there. 😔

Hi there! I have a rooster (about a year old) and he has all the symptoms of botulism. Neck paralysis, weak legs, falling when walking, etc... Here’s the kicker, it’s been 2 weeks since symptoms set in, and he’s still alive! We had read that birds that live past 48hours of onset of symptoms usually recover... however he’s only getting worse. So I’m wondering if he’ll ever get better? Will the paralysis wear off eventually? Or will he eventually suffocate? Should we put him out of his misery? He doesn’t even go out of the coop with his hens anymore. I’m afraid they might start attacking him? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!
I recycled a small feeder that had been outside for a few months .. and one of my girls got botulism🤦🏻‍♀️ I gave her supportive care, soft wetted food with egg yolk brewers yeast and selenium in it. Also polyvisol with no iron. She had no swallow paralysis so she ate well with help. Just general support i gave her very low dose decadron IM for 10 days. It took about 2 mos but she is TOTALLY normal now. If they live past the 48 hr mark it will peak at 10-14 days then begin to clear. Ultimate recovery is individual. My girl is lucky - hope your roo does ok. (I saw yr comment about the compost pile - i keep all the critters out if it for that reason)

Back
Top Bottom