Bought a chicken coop, but what about RAIN?!

CutestChickenFarmer

Songster
12 Years
Jun 26, 2007
Delaware
ChknHtchNoRunSm.jpg

Hi, everybody, I'm new here. My babies are expected to be delivered July 11th or so. I've got this coop put up out back inside a 10' x 10' chain link dog kennel. But what about when it rains?! The whole front of it is exposed? Any advice? I'm a wreck! I bought it from www.mypetchicken.com and it's lovely, but I'm concerned about the weather.

Susan

Could you maybe put some sort of top on the dog kennel? A tarp or some tin, or some of that fiberglass stuff they use for sky lights in metal buildings.I think they will need some where to get out of the weather.

We put tarp on three sides of our dog pen when we first got our grown chickens to give them some relief from the elements. Now mind you this was back in March and the nights were cold. With lots of straw down, nesting boxes and a roost they were very comfy. I worried about them but turned out they were very cozy. Just had the south side open. Now we will use that same pen for our young keets when it is time for them to be moved outdoors. All chicks and chickens now are in a coop and free range together...not hospitably(sp) but together.
gig.gif

We have pulled the tarp and plastic so the back third of the pen is completely covered, roof, sides and back. With the hot weather they will be fine now.

We have leaned plywood against the front of our rabbit hutch to keep strong rain and the hot sun out.

Pretty hutch, how many chicks are you housing?

Donna

Since your using a dog kennel to prevent wind and rain in winter first youll need a roof of some sort, even if its just a tarp but it needs to be sloped so it doesnt collect in the middle.. You want the water to run off.. If you use a tarp, put your tarp over, tie it down good, leaving a little slack so it hangs down a little in the coop, then use a 2x4, rounded the edges of the part your going to put against the tarp, or whatever you want to use, and stand it up in the middle to hold the tarp up high in the center creating a "tent" look. For the sides you can also use a tarp, heavy clear plastic, plywood or whatever. THe Clear plastic is nice as it allows sunshine to enter. If using plastic or tarps be sure to leave some area open for ventilation..

Hi, thanks all of you for your replies. I'm going to have 4 regular-sized and one bantam. I'm figuring that the coop will be where they spend their nights, but that they'll be able to wander around inside the dog kennel the rest of the time, except for when I let them out to run around the yard. Hmm, tarp... I will start searching online! Thanks again!

Susan

If your feeling at all ambitous, you could add one last piece of plywood to the front, over the screen that you could remove, or even a piece of plexiglass. Most store like Lowes or HD will cut one to fit, then you could just screw it over the screen area, or even half of the screen area.

FYI, we had a predator get through our chain link early on. We put wire above and below so that our kennel was all one unit, and something went right through the chain link and got one of my hens (I was actually there when it happened and I saw it sneak right through). Now we always shut the ladies in at night in their large dog house gone coop.

Nice looking hen house. If I was in your predicament I would have a board cut to the size of the entire front. Attach it with hinges at the top so it can be pulled upwards - that creates an instant shade area and protects it from rain. You can use a 2x4 or other similar board to hold the board open during the day and then you can close it at night (if you want).

Go to the sticky at the top of this page "Submit your coop design..." and go to page four. About 1/2 way down the page you will find a submission from Mac in Abilene showing how he built his coop. Scroll down through his pictures and you will see the red painted building with the side window as I'm describing to you for your front.

We did this same thing on our coop and really like the end affect. It gives great weather protection (you can adjust the cover board to whatever angle you want it open) and it offers great night time predator protection.

Good luck and have fun!

Oh - sorry, I'm going to add that my dog went through a chain link fence in about ten minutes more than once. And she just wanted out of the dog run to come play up at the house! I agree that chain link is not predator proof ... just a thought.

Last edited:
In addition to the chain-link dog kennel, my backyard has a 6' stockade fence around it. I have a German Shepherd and an English Bulldog, and not so much as a cricket comes in that yard! I'm not so much concerned with predators (just jinxed myself) but rather, with keeping the chickens dry. The fact that I'm just now addressing this issue makes me wonder what ELSE I've forgotten to take into consideration...

Susan

I would check back with mypetchicken. Its suppose to come with a rain/weather guard for the front of your coop. I read the description it gives on their website. I have a old rabbit hutch that I use and I just use a garbage bag and clothes pins to cover the front up in the winter time or if it's going to rain alot.

Back
Top Bottom