Bought a chicken coop, but what about RAIN?!

ok... it doesnt have to be mypetchicken or a chicken coop for that matter.... i think that is also a rabbit hutch?? anyways... i want to find where i can get it

Hi rosyposyosy, I sent you an email, but also wanted to let anyone know who's interested, if you do a google search for chick-n-hutch, you'll find dealers who sell them.

Susan

oh ok thanks
smile.png
i found one at "rabbit mart" on the web. it is $200 including shipping and the nesting box (yay!)

You have the same one I do. :)

I have no advice for you, we get little rain here and its easy enough just to get a piece of plywood cut for the front on the few bad days we have.

I was more worried about sun, so the coop will get to inherit my old patio umbrella.

Curious to know how is the shepards with the babys?The coop is cute by the way,soon you will be having your hubby build u a bigger coop so dont fret,Mwahhahahhahahh!...lol....its not to adictive!

IMG_0162.jpg

Hi, didn't know which one of us with the German Shepherd you were inquiring about, but mine just adores the chicks. He's 11 1/2 years old and has always been a 'mother hen' and now gets to be one for real! He got into a bit of a scuffle with my bulldog who got a little too close to the babies.

Susan

Hi CCF - aren't German Shepherds great?? Your's looks a lot like Rex. I posted earlier a pic with him and the babies in the same pen you got. After that we started letting them free-range and he's always right there with them. Here's a few more photos. In one, he dug a hole, under a bush and they were all in the hole together. When I came outside and saw him in hole with what looked like 4 dead birds I said "Rex, they better be sleeping." which they were. He gets nervous if they wander too far and gets up and follows them.
Rex-on-guard4.jpg

Here they've wandered a little too far from him.
rexonguard.jpg

I have this, actually I have 2 in a 16x9x7 dog run. The dog run has a "Sun block Top" that I purchased separately but was made to fit the run. It was easy to put up and keeps the suns rays more mild in the coop. During the day the chicks roam about the coop. If it gets very hot they go under the hutch. in the late afternoon we free range and they love that. At night they all sleep inside and just like your friend said all of mine pile on top of each other except the rooster. he perches at night. I currently have about 30 chicks in mine (Most babies) but once they are sold I will have about 8 to share the 2 houses. I put plywood on the front of mine to keep the weather out but I used wing nuts to attach it like the other wind gaurds on the hutch. I really love this product!

And how lucky are you to have a dog that likes your chicks in a non-food way. My greyhounds would eat mine in a second if they could that is one reason I love the dog run so much. They cant flip it over or break thru! One thing I did do was put hardware cloth all the way around the dog run (just the bottom), I kinda sewed it on with wire. it is great because no little Chickie heads can get out and eaten.
big_smile.png

Good Luck,
Adam

Here are my kids
cookies01.jpg

collariggies.jpg

Last edited:
MaxJezebel070607008.jpg

I have mine in a 10' x 10' dog kennel, above. I recently purchased a 10' x 16' tarp to go across the top and down the back of it (by the fence). The back faces the prevailing winds, so we're good in that area. I also purchased clear tarps to go on the sides for when it gets cold to make their little pen a 4-season habitat. The oak tree provides total shade from the sun during the hottest part of the day.

Susan

Ruth and Susan, I really envy you gals with the gorgeous shepherds who keep watch over their charges. I wish I could find one who didn't think it was chicken delivery for supper!

Back
Top Bottom